Analytical Lawyer (In-House)
S&P Global Ratings, In-House Legal Counsel Grade
( relevant for internal applicants only ): 12 The Impact:
S&P Global Ratings is seeking a junior lawyer to join its in-house legal team in its New York (Manhattan) or Toronto offices as an analytical support lawyer. The role involves providing legal counseling to support rating analysts in the U.S. structured finance analytical practice in the application of S&P Global Ratings' criteria. In joining our existing close-knit team of in-house lawyers, the candidate must be a motivated and collaborative legal professional with superior legal ability and written and oral presentation skills, and excellent interpersonal and communication skills. The successful candidate must be comfortable working well in a team-based and collegial environment, collaborating and executing on tasks both independently and with internal stakeholders. We are looking for a candidate with an interest in the credit ratings business and a willingness to develop professionally in an in-house legal environment. Compensation/Benefits Information (US Applicants Only):
S&P Global states that the anticipated base salary range for this position is $100,800 to $230,200. Base salary ranges may vary by geographic location.
In addition to base compensation, this role is eligible for an annual incentive plan.
This role is eligible to receive additional S&P Global benefits. For more information on the benefits we provide to our employees, visit https://www.spgbenefitessentials.com/newhires . Essential Experience:
- Two (2) to three (3) years of experience as a U.S. qualified lawyer reviewing and/or drafting U.S. structured finance transaction documents and legal opinions
- Familiarity with core concepts of structured finance including true sale / asset isolation, non-consolidation, security interests (including Article 9 of the UCC), special purpose entities and an understanding of key legal opinions in structured finance
- An understanding of the varied role of key participants in a structured finance transaction
- An understanding of various asset classes / structures prevalent in U.S. structured finance (e.g. ABS, CLO, RMBS, CMBS)
- Familiarity and experience with S&P Global Ratings' legal criteria for U.S. structured finance transactions and /or structured finance legal criteria used by other large credit ratings agencies
- Conducting review of transaction level legal structures and related legal opinions and counseling analysts about adherence of structures to S&P Global Ratings' structured finance legal criteria
- Counseling ratings analysts on developing legal issues in structured finance
- Analyzing and interpreting relevant laws and regulations to keep analysts up to date on legal developments affecting their analysis
- Counseling of Compliance, Risk and other control functions on issues related to compliance with and changes to laws, regulations, and the application of internal policies and procedures
- Preparing and conducting internal trainings for ratings analysts on legal issues
- On request, reviewing and revising legal related criteria used by analysts
- Providing general legal counseling / participation in ad-hoc projects in support of S&P Global Ratings business activities across analytical practices
- Counseling S&P Global Ratings' personnel regarding external speaking engagements, presentations, publications and other outreach efforts
- On request counseling S&P Global Ratings' commercial team on legal issues relevant to a particular ratings engagement
About S&P Global Ratings
- U.S. bar-admitted and in good standing
- Two (2) to three (3) years' experience in structured finance as a lawyer in either a major law firm or corporation, where the candidate has gained an understanding of structured finance and capital markets principles
- Ability to grasp legal and analytical concepts quickly and apply sound legal judgment with little supervision
- Well-developed emotional intelligence; superior interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Excellent presentation, writing and analytical skills
- Excellent communication and listening skills with internal/external audiences
- Self-motivated and well-organized with the ability to handle multiple, high-priority projects while attending to details; able to prioritize tasks and work well under pressure
- Hands-on, energetic, intellectually curious
- Professional and collegial demeanor, a team player, ability to work effectively independently and collaboratively with in-house colleagues, internal stakeholders and external parties
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); comfortable using web-based connectivity platforms (e.g. Skype, Zoom, Teams etc.)
S&P Global Ratings is the world's leading provider of independent credit ratings. Our ratings are essential to driving growth, providing transparency and helping educate market participants so they can make decisions with confidence. We have more than 1 million credit ratings outstanding on government, corporate, financial sector and structured finance entities and securities. We offer an independent view of the market built on a unique combination of broad perspective and local insight. We provide our opinions and research about relative credit risk; market participants gain independent information to help support the growth of transparent, liquid debt markets worldwide.
S&P Global Ratings is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.spglobal.com/ratings .
S&P Global has a Securities Disclosure and Trading Policy ("the Policy") that seeks to mitigate conflicts of interest by monitoring and placing restrictions on personal securities holding and trading. The Policy is designed to promote compliance with global regulations. In some Divisions, pursuant to the Policy's requirements, candidates at S&P Global may be asked to disclose securities holdings. Some roles may include a trading prohibition and remediation of positions when there is an effective or potential conflict of interest. Employment at S&P Global is contingent upon compliance with the Policy.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other status protected by law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: EEO.Compliance@spglobal.com
and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person. US Candidates Only:
The EEO is the Law Poster http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf describes discrimination protections under federal law.
202 - Middle Professional (EEO Job Group) (inactive), 20 - Professional (EEO-2 Job Categories-United States of America), LGLLGL202.2 - Middle Professional Tier II (EEO Job Group) Job ID:
263705 Posted On:
New York, New York, United States