We are PIMCO, a leading global asset management firm. We manage investments and develop solutions across the full spectrum of asset classes, strategies and vehicles: fixed income, equities, commodities, asset allocation, ETFs, hedge funds and private equity. PIMCO is one of the largest investment managers, actively managing more than $1.8 trillion in assets for clients around the world. PIMCO has over 3,070 employees in 22 offices globally. PIMCO is recognized as an innovator, industry thought leader and trusted advisor to our clients.
PIMCO is one of the world's premier fixed income investment managers with thousands of professionals around the world united in a single purpose: creating opportunities for our clients in every environment. Since 1971, we have brought innovation and expertise to our partnership with the institutions, financial advisors and millions of individual investors who entrust us with their assets. We aspire to cultivate performance and leadership through empowering our people, diversity of thought, and a commitment to an inclusive culture that engages in our global communities. Position Description:
The Alternative Funds at PIMCO total approximately $40 billion AUM across Hedge, Credit, Private Equity and Real Estate Investments. The Alternatives Finance Team is responsible for the overall financial accounting and control, tax structuring and compliance, investment operations and valuation of illiquid assets. The Team works directly with Product Strategy, Account Management and Portfolio Management groups of PIMCO.
The Alternative Finance team is seeking to add a dynamic Valuation Professional. The role will be based in our New York, Newport Beach or Austin office and will report to the Global Head of Valuation.
- Lead all aspects of portfolio valuation processes for illiquid assets at PIMCO.
- Ensure consistency, accuracy and propriety of valuation methodologies, assumptions and practices
- Maintain documentation of valuation policies, rationales, processes, overrides and policy exceptions
- Prepare monthly valuations, which includes the preparation of valuation recommendations to the valuation committees
- Prepare quarterly valuation process, which includes the preparation of valuation analyses and presentation to the firm's Valuation Committee with recommended holding values for level 2 and 3 investments across all PIMCO
- Work with the firm's auditors to answer valuation related questions, which includes the review of all assumptions and inputs used in the preparation of valuation analyses.
- Supervise the preparation of the firm's semiannual positive assurance report from a third-party service provider, which is then reviewed and approved by the Chief Financial Officer.
- Formulate impairment and write-off analyses
- Participate in meetings with firm's investors
- Manage Fund forecasting and FP&A function
Position Requirements: Technical Skills and Experience
- Valuation of financial instruments: Taking part in setting valuation standards, managing the valuation policy and performing the valuation of complex financial instruments.
- Fair value hierarchy: Defining and implementing hierarchy approaches based on accounting standards and overseeing hierarchy classification process.
- Provision subject matter expertise: Bringing financial market knowledge to the finance organization and provide quantitative and analytical expertise as well as functional leadership of related staff.
- Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field.
- 5+ years of valuation and/or corporate finance related experience (at least 3 years of valuation specific experience) at an accounting firm, consulting firm, bank or investment manager.
- Working knowledge of ASC 820 including application joint ventures, minority interest, waterfall and other complex structures.
- Proficiency with industry standard income and market-based valuation models for private equity, commercial and residential real estate, performing and distressed credit, and structured securities.
- Working knowledge of corporate, real estate and credit valuation software suites.
- Professional Credential: CFA, CPA, ABV or ASA preferred.
Soft Skills and Experience
- Interpersonal skills both written and verbal including the ability to summarize complex topics for presentation to firm leadership and regulators.
- Ability to perform in a high performing, fast-paced environment.
- Work in a collaborative multi-office, technology enabled environment.
PIMCO is committed to offering a comprehensive portfolio of employee benefits designed to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Benefits vary by location but may include:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance and travel coverage
- 401(k) (defined contribution) retirement savings, retirement plan, pension contribution from your first day of employment
- Work/life programs such as flexible work arrangements, parental leave and support, employee assistance plan, commuter benefits, health club discounts, and educational/CFA certification reimbursement programs
- Community involvement opportunities with The PIMCO Foundation in each PIMCO office