The Branch is organized along the three lines of defense operating model. The New York Branch Credit function is part of the control function in the second line of defense. The Senior Credit Officer reports to the Chief Risk Officer New York Branch. The Senior Credit Officer at the New York Branch provides functionality across two broad categories: • Credit Assessment and efficient processing of CAFS, credit reviews • Portfolio Monitoring and Reporting The job responsibilities within these broad categories are described in detail below.
- Responsible for the timely assessment of the Branch’s credit applications, annual reviews and administrative notifications for Senior Management.
- Independently evaluate credit applications, annual credit reviews, and administrative notifications prepared by Relationship Managers and Business Credit Analysts, or existing and potential clients bringing a high level of consultative expertise, intelligence and discretion to the various analyses. Prepare memorandum to support recommendation to either approve or decline – highlighting key risks & mitigating factors and basis for internal risk rating.
- Ensure reliable detailed credit reviews.
- Evaluation of multiple trustworthy sources of data in order to make a fair and balanced assessment of the borrowers' credit, management, operational and financial capabilities as it relates to the existing or potential commitment.
- Ensure smooth, efficient and effective flow of the credit review process
- Coordinate and collaborate with marketing, accounting and operations departments to effect good bi-directional flow of information to ensure a smooth and efficient credit process without compromising credit quality. Proactively seek ways of increasing efficiency, increasing productivity, and improving communication across the teams. Work cooperatively across global jurisdictions on initiatives for improved frameworks that promote efficiencies.
- Maintain sufficient knowledge on clients and the industry in which they operate.
- Utilization of multiple media outlets to gather and synthesize relevant data pertaining to existing and potential customers into reports for self and management. Proactively seek to remain up to date on innovative thinking, trends and changes that impact our industry and the industry sectors of our clients. Participate in and seek ongoing training and education (institutional/self-guided) of relevant skills, tools and knowledge as it relates to credit.
5. Portfolio Monitoring and Reporting
- Develop and prepare exposure reports as required including:
- Periodic Exposure Reports
- Concentration Reporting
- Ratings Migration
- Impaired Assets
- Head Office Reporting