Governance & Controls - Finance
- Manhattan, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Barclays - US
- 18 Feb 19
Governance and Controls Analyst - CCAR - Finance
Overall purpose of role
The Finance Governance and Controls team work closely with Finance in developing, co-ordinating and monitoring a globally consistent control framework. This includes overseeing adherence to documented policies and procedures and for developing new initiatives to enhance controls and maximise efficiency globally.
- Manage the assigned conformance of instructions review process.
- Manage the assigned transaction testing process, which includes the oversight of the scheduling and conduct of walkthrough meetings and the selection of appropriate samples for testing.
- Manage the assigned controls testing process, which includes the oversight of the scheduling and conduct of walkthrough meetings and the selection of appropriate samples for testing, review and challenge of the design of controls and review of testing procedures in line with Barclays' policies and standards.
- Maintain full appropriate documentation that is auditable.
- Report and communicate all assessments to the appropriate personnel.
- Review of issues remediation documentation.
- Provide training and guidance relating to conformance reviews, transaction and controls testing and current regulatory developments.
- Provide regular and timely reporting and feedback to the management team.
- Help build and maintain effective working relationships with other Finance areas (Regulatory Reporting, Product Control, and Financial Control) and regional Control teams to ensure a co-ordinated and consistent approach to control initiatives and implement best practice standards.
- Assist with ad-hoc investigations and peer reviews.
- Apply knowledge of control policies, standards and guidelines to assist with the oversight of implementation of the CFO Attestation requirements.
Stakeholder Management and Leadership
This role requires regular interactions with the Finance Regulatory Reporting and Legal Entity Control teams as well as the senior individuals within all areas Risk, Finance, Treasury, Technology and Change Management.
The individual is expected to be able to clearly articulate and effectively present.
Decision-making and Problem Solving
The role requires the ability to identify and assess control issues and form an opinion on the impact of any identified control weaknesses and its resolutions.
Essential Skills/Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree
- Qualified accountant (CPA, CA, MBA or equivalent)
- 3+ years of investment banking and/or financial services experience
- 3+ years of auditing/public accounting experience in Big 4 firms
Desirable skills/Preferred Qualifications:
- Strong understanding of internal controls and governance of a Finance function within an Investment Bank or Broker Dealer including strong working knowledge of financial accounting and products, regulatory reporting, control governance and SOx
- Experience of working independently to assess, improve and enhance a process
- Experience managing a team to tight deadlines as well as strong effective communication with senior members of management
- Able to effectively challenge current processes and develop recommendations for alternate effective solutions
- Execution and delivery-focused, able to drive a process forward effectively and efficiently in a timely manner
- Team player
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be able to effectively communicate at all levels
- Able to efficiently manage multiple pieces of work simultaneously whilst keeping manager informed of issues and progress in a timely manner
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel i.e. vlookups, pivot tables, formula etc and Microsoft PowerPoint
- Strong skills in manipulating large volume of data for analysis and presentation purposes
- Strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills