Financial Controls and Compliance Director
- Manhattan, NY, USA Manhattan NY US
- Permanent, Full time
- 15 Aug 18 2018-08-15
Manager of a three person Financial Controls and Compliance (FC&C) team dedicated to daily control, monitoring and reporting of all Nostro cash activity and reconciliation with related internal books and records.
Our client is a global leading investment bank
- The Supervisor of FC&C will lead the company's design, implementation, maintenance and remediation of financial statement controls. The Supervisor manages/participates in control-related projects, partners with the business to identify solutions and process improvements, and provides training on control-related initiatives. This requires a broad understanding of wholesale banking functions and business segments, as well as a deep knowledge of US GAAP, IFRS, Regulatory Reporting Standards, and standard control frameworks such as SOX and the COSO framework. Research, communication and collaboration are instrumental to the success of the role. Other success factors include being a champion for change in the organization, a strong manager, and a strong professional with the ability to resolve complex issues at all levels in the organization.
- Conduct risk assessments of accounts, accounting processes, and financial statements to determine scope, testing approach, and timing of control implementation.
- Enhance the efficiencies of controls through automation, and centralized, standardized certification processes.
- Monitor control deficiencies, assess their severity, and working with stakeholders, propose effective control enhancements to prevent future reoccurrence.
- Ensure adequate evaluation and testing of Financial Statement internal controls and ensures that control deficiencies are remediated in a timely manner to support financial statement filings.
- Work with key business process owners to identify, document, review, implement and certify internal controls. This can include development of process mapping or flow charts, as well as supporting policy and procedure initiatives.
- Supervise the administration of the account certification process and GL control processes.
- Review, document and report on data quality statistics such as manual entries, manual inputs to reports, and account certification aging.
- Manage the accounting policy process, ensuring stakeholders update the accounting policy manual in a timely manner.
- Document controls in quarterly memos that outline the effectiveness of controls to support reporting processes.
- Manage audit and regulatory exam prepared by client delivery for the Finance Function.
- Monitor formal findings and remediation of audit and regulatory findings, ensuring manager compliance with agreed deadlines.
- Oversee cash and suspense reconciliation control functions.
- Motivate and influence across multiple levels of the organization, and willing to challenge upwards in a professional manner to ensure the best control outcomes.
- Maintain strong relationships in the organization.
- Make effective and independent judgements, develop creative solutions to difficult problems.
- Supervise multiple employees and processes.
- Driver of change in the FC&C group, including ensuring strong goals and process improvements are made to support an efficient department.
- Required Skills/Qualifications/Experience
- BA in Accounting or related Business
- CPA required.
- Strong experience with bank lending processes, systems, data.
- Knowledge of accounting and financial reporting regulations and standards that impact books and records data requirements eg IFRS9, BCBS239.
- Solid verbal and interpersonal skills a must. Skillful written communication is necessary; the ability to convey thoughts clearly and succinctly and to communicate pertinent complex information in a clear and organized manner.
- Strong reporting skills including: advanced Excel, reporting tool design and management, and good knowledge of system security requirements.
- Systems and software proficiency:Lending Systems: ACBS, LoanIQ,
- Reconciliation systems: Smartstream Corona
- SWIFT payment and receive message formats
- Microsoft Excel, Word
- Ability to motivate and influence across multiple levels of the organization, and willing to challenge upwards in a professional manner to ensure the best control outcomes.
- Ability to maintain strong relationships in the organization.
- Ability to make effective and independent judgements, including the ability to develop creative solutions to difficult problems
Exciting opportunity to grow and develop
Wonderful company culture