Financial Business Manager - Clifton Park, NY
- $100k-$115k plus Incentive Plan
- Albany, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- 05 Oct 17 2017-10-05
Our Financial Business Manager is essentially the financial CFO to a $130m Division. At Cengage, we see a world where every student is a confident learner. Where all learners are propelled by the power of education. A world where they get further with every question, sharper with every lesson and stronger with every challenge. A world of acceleration, advancement and ambition. We see a world where students have the audacity to know their potential and the tenacity to make it real, so that no matter where they go or what they strive for, they will be unstoppable.
Cengage is an $1.5b educational content, technology, and services company for the higher education, K-12, professional, and library markets worldwide. Cengage has operations in more than 20 countries around the world.
Our Skills Business Group is focused on improving lives through educational solutions that help get jobs and advance careers and includes our Computing, Healthcare, Trades, Beauty & Wellness businesses as well as our ed2go business that partners with institutions to offer courses direct to learners.
Career and Milady, our Health Care, Trades and Beauty & Wellness discipline areas generate ~$130m in annual sales and provide educational solutions that span for profit career colleges, higher education, K12, corporate, and direct to consumer and cover numerous skill-based areas such as Automotive, Basic Health Science and Cosmetology. These businesses are a significant part of our Skills content portfolio.
The Financial Business Manager reports to the Executive Director of Finance and will be responsible for a combination of operational and financial management including the financial planning and analysis (FP&A) deliverables to support the career and Milady Groups.
- Operational and Financial oversight of approximately $130M of revenue
- Provide analysis and financial direction related to all investments
- Oversight for operational set up of approved proposals in IPS (editorial project system) and all related data.
- Manage all needed reporting for supporting business and editorial teams.
- Preparation of materials for planning cycle meetings
- Coordination of accounting and systems support requirements with Cengage Corporate Shared Services (including monthly close and external audit)
- Ad hoc reporting and analysis projects as assigned
Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A)
- Preparation of materials for Product Group General Manager, Corporate FP&A, and Executive Committee presentations with oversight from Executive Director of Finance
- Assist in the development of the long and short term range plans, and forecast latest estimates to ensure accurate and profitable business decisions. (3yr plan, Annual Plan and qtrly forecasts, NPV, list mgmt, list post mortems, etc)
- Provide ad hoc analyses to support both current and potential future strategic scenarios and related financial impact to the business. (Metrics, GM Analysis, financial modeling, etc.)
- With the Executive Director of Finance and Corporate Finance, develop policies and procedures which monitor and improve the business unit’s profitability, return on assets and efficiency of operations.
- Provide advice and direction to the business units during the development of strategic plans and goal translation.
- M&A support
- Serve, as needed, on task forces to ensure that the operational and financial needs and concerns of the business units are represented.
- Measure and communicate the financial performance of the business units in comparison to funding, plan/forecast and previous years’ performance.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance/Accounting. MBA preferred.
- 7-10 Years progressively responsible experience with both operational and FP&A responsibilities
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Powerpoint, Excel, Outlook. Hyperion a plus
- High comfort level with projects dealing with metrics and other data driven analysis for management
- Industry experience in publishing, software, or related content business a plus
- Strong interpersonal skills including excellent written and verbal skills.
- Experience in matrix organized work environment working with all levels of management.
- Ability to train/mentor.
- Some travel required.