Senior Data Engineer
Bloomberg runs on data, and the Global Data team here is responsible for acquiring it and providing it to our clients. We collect, analyze, process and publish the data which is the backbone of our iconic Bloomberg Terminal-the facts and figures which fundamentally move the financial markets. We apply problem-solving skills to identify innovative workflow efficiencies, and we implement technology solutions to enhance our systems, products and processes-and all this while providing platinum customer support to our clients.
We're one step ahead of the game-constantly looking to increase the depth and breadth of our data coverage, improve our engagement with the industry, and ultimately provide data solutions and insights to our customers before they even know they need them. The Role:
Senior Data Engineers utilize their experience and technical expertise to architect solutions for some of Global Data's most complex data processing challenges. To do so they work with a variety of partners such as Data Engineers and Software Engineers to turn those designs into tangible results. As technical leaders in the organization, Senior Data Engineers also train and mentor others throughout the organization, influence technology strategy, and carry out critical functions such as governance by ensuring that all code aligns with specific guidelines before deployment to production. We'll trust you to:
You'll need to have:
- Design and architect end-to-end solutions for data processing
- Lead and develop large-scale projects and initiatives that challenge the status quo when it comes to how we process data
- Support the infrastructure for the internal applications that we provision
- Help to define the strategy and contribute to the technology decisions we make
- Ensure the proper governance of our technology platforms
- Collaborate with Engineering and Data Analysts to identify and design ways to extend our technology stack
- Train and mentor Data Engineers and Data Analysts
We'd love to see:
- Advanced degrees in STEM discipline or 5-10 years of experience in a data engineering or software development role
- Expert proficiency with one or more programming/scripting languages, preferably Python
- Advanced knowledge of data modeling, database design and SQL
- Expertise with software engineering best practices including test-driven development
- In-depth understanding of the technology infrastructure within Bloomberg as well as the external technology landscape for data processing
- Demonstrated ability to influence others and lead change
- Experience training and mentoring others
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, especially when explaining technical processes and solutions to business partners and management
Does this sound like you?
- Established presence in virtual development communities such as GitHub, Stack Overflow and HackerRank
- Proven ability to use technology to innovative data products and processes
- Familiarity with Data Science and/or Machine Learning
- Familiarity with big data/streaming stack (Kafka, Spark, Hadoop, HBase, Solr)
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is committed to diversity. It drives our innovation. At Bloomberg, you'll have the opportunity to go above and beyond and to take risks. You'll be a part of an organization that is entering new markets, launching new ventures, and pushing boundaries. Our ever-expanding array of technology, data, news, and media services champions innovation and empowers clients -- and offers nearly limitless opportunities for career growth.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We bring out the best in each other.