Head of SMA Operations, Managing Director - Client Services
Description About this role
BlackRock is one of the world's preeminent asset management firms and a premier provider of global investment management, risk management and advisory services to institutional, intermediary and individual investors around the world. BlackRock offers a range of solutions - from rigorous fundamental and quantitative active management approaches aimed at maximizing outperformance to highly efficient indexing strategies designed to gain broad exposure to the world's capital markets. Our clients can access our investment solutions through a variety of product structures, including individual and institutional separate accounts, mutual funds and other pooled investment vehicles, and the industry-leading iShares® ETFs. Business Overview:
The Tech & Ops
organization is a driving strength behind the BlackRock experience - delivering strategic technology, security, facilities, business ops, client and real estate solutions. Tech & Ops aims to provide robust technology infrastructure and strategic business solutions to deliver a consistent and global experience, while handling information securely and ensuring data integrity.
The Tech & Ops organization aligns to the following functions central to our business:
Global Client Services (GCS)
- Business Operations - Supports product enablement, commercial growth, and provider strategy while managing risk
- Client Experience - Increases sales capacity and service effectiveness to make it easy to engage BLK
- Data & AI - Uses advanced technologies and data science to deliver quality insight products
- Enterprise Services - Deliver a safe, resilient, high-performance workplace and related services
- ETF Platform Innovation & Change - Leads change initiatives central to indexing and firm-wide growth aspirations
- Technology Platforms - Provides best in class employee technology and enterprise infrastructure
- Information Security - Protects BlackRock and client information
delivers the Client Experience, GCS functions and service teams ensure that the firm's operations are consistent and efficient across a broad spectrum of client channels, regions, and investment products. This includes delivering the highest service quality experience through Global Onboarding, Contracting, Client Order Management (COM), Reporting, and Invoicing as well as the Service Centers in AMRS for Retail and Liquidity clients, Separate Managed Accounts (SMA) and Future Advisor support functions. We are a key partner in global client businesses, helping to define and implement improvements to the Client Experience. The Role:
This is a senior management role reporting to the Head of GCS. The role is positioned to be a driver of the strategic review and implementation of the operating model as we anticipate significant opportunity for transformation to support the next phase of growth, incorporating Tax Efficient Investing, for the SMA business. This will help us strive to become a leader in SMA's and mass personalization of portfolios for wealth clients.
The individual will work closely with business and technology partners in order to determine the potential to redesign and enable greater scale as the business offering is evolved. The role will have direct responsibility for the existing Directors of Operations, who have the management oversight of the day to day activities across the various components within the SMA Operations team. Responsibilities:
- Manage global SMA Operations team and drive operations transformation as the business evolves to focus on the identification and implementation of changes as we move legacy to future state infrastructure.
- Partner on creation and implementation of a vision and strategy to pave the direction of the SMA operating model, as per changing client needs and evolving technological capabilities including driving more of a digital experience
- Partner with leaders and teams in our various sales channels to understand client needs and to ensure the Global Client Services group has a holistic view of the client, and is delivering solutions that meet the long-term and short-term needs
- Act as the senior lead and representative for SMA at client meetings, including new business meetings, due diligence meetings and client service meetings
- Collaborate with Senior Managers and teams across Business Operations, Technology and the firm to understand requirements and deliver the right solutions and services
- Manage risk and oversee our response to operating events; followed by partnering with appropriate teams (RQA, Audit, etc) to investigate the root-cause
- Drive continuous improvement to minimize risk, drive efficiency and improve the experience of valued stockholders
- Oversee and continuously improve metrics to measure and monitor effectiveness and client experience
- Extensive experience and product/process knowledge of Business Operations, especially those related to clients in the financial services / asset management industry
- Ability to scale across a large, complex breadth of functions and relationships, and effectively execute on decisions in a fast-paced environment
- Proven record of change management and strategic delivery of key business initiatives through operational leadership
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities in a dynamic business environment and continually reprioritize to focus on the key issues/topics
- Strong intellectual ability and interpersonal skills to establish his/her credibility and influence with senior leaders throughout the firm Ability to develop strong, collaborative working relationships.
- Proven leadership across large, multi-location teams. Lead by example - high standards and strong work ethic
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
BlackRock's purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, we help millions of people build savings that serve them throughout their lives by making investing easier and more affordable.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com/corporate | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.