Regional Financial Controller
A bank with a soul
We are a global bank which is big enough to be relevant to the world's most sophisticated corporations but small enough to be local, nimble and innovate. We tap into our DNA as a global trade bank, committing to the dynamic markets where we have operated for over 150 years. We link these markets with each other, as well as to Europe and the Americas, to help our corporate and institutional clients manage their global investing and financing needs. In addition, we use our deep knowledge in local markets to help our customers and clients grow, invest and protect their wealth.
We believe that every one of our colleagues plays a tangible role in delivering our purpose and we all feel strongly about living our valued behaviours and our brand promise - Here for good. Our unrivalled network and unique culture make this organisation special, and creates opportunities for unparalleled career and development experiences. The success of the Bank hinges on how we harness our unique strengths, create an inclusive and flexible environment, and where our people feel empowered to use the freedom and accountability that we give them to go above and beyond for our customers. The Role Responsibilities
Reporting to the CFO, this position will be responsible for all accounting functions including, but not limited to, the general ledger. Role will undertake all aspects of financial management, including cost accounting, regulatory and financial reporting, budget and forecasts preparation, as well as enhancement of internal control policies and procedures. Finance controller responsibilities will also include financial risk management.
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts and report variances
- Prepare and publish timely monthly financial statements
- Accountability of the preparation of regulatory reporting
- Research technical accounting issues for compliance
- Support month-end and year-end close process
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting
- Have a strong working knowledge of local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Report to the CFO with timely and accurate financial information
- Assist the CFO in presenting reports to senior executives, stakeholders, and board members
- Supervise transaction-processing operations
- Oversee any outsourced accounting functions
- Maintain an organized and orderly filing system of all accounting documents
- Collaborate with external auditors as needed
People and Talent
- Provides training, guidance, and direction to employees to ensure work is performed in an efficient, timely and knowledgeable manner.
- Groom and develop potential successors from within and outside the organization
- Ensure that all financial transactions are properly recorded, filed, and reported
- Establish and implement financial reporting systems to comply with government regulations and legislation and in line with Group Finance
- Collaborate with auditing services to ensure proper compliance with all regulations
- Monitor risk management policies and procedures to ensure that organizational risks are minimized
- Review all financial plans and budgets regularly to look for cost reduction opportunities
- Examine all financial reports and data closely to check for discrepancies
- Find ways to enhance systems to prevent errors in data collection and calculations
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead the team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Business Function - CIB
- Corporate Functions- Audit, Legal, Compliance, Risk, CABM, HR
- CEO - Americas and U.S.
- Group Finance partners
- Regulators/examiners (FRB, DFS, FINRA) for reporting matters and related inquiries
- SCB External Auditors & NY Broker Dealer External Auditors
- Proven working experience as a Financial controller
- 10+ years of overall combined accounting and finance experience
- Advanced degree in Accounting
- CFA or CPA required
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures
- Experience with creating financial statements
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year end close process
- Excellent accounting software user and administration skills
- Strong presentation/interpersonal skills
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration
- Superb mathematical skills
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- High attention to detail
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages .