- Morristown, NJ, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Brighthouse Financial, Inc.
- 20 Feb 18 2018-02-20
Brighthouse Financial is a new company established by MetLife. We're on a mission to help people achieve financial security. Built on a foundation of industry knowledge and experience, we specialize in offering essential annuity and life insurance products designed to help customers protect what they've earned and ensure it lasts more predictably. In an industry that often has a reputation for complexity, confusion, and cost, Brighthouse Financial is different. Our approach includes simplicity, transparency, and more value so customers can face the future with confidence.
Brighthouse Financial is seeking passionate, high-performing team members to help us carry out our mission and be part of an exciting journey toward improving the financial futures of our millions of customers. Sound like you? Read on.
Role Value Proposition:
Brighthouse Financial is seeking a Lead Attorney to join the Brighthouse Legal Department to oversee investment matters for the Company's $80+ billion general account.
Department : Legal
Sub-department (if applicable) :Investments
Key Relationships :
- Reports To: Head of Products, Funds & Investment Law
- Direct Reports/Team: 1 Associate Corporate Counsel
- Other Key Stakeholders: Head of Global Portfolio Mgmt, CIO, State Ins & Federal Ins Law Group, Outside Counsel, BHF Investments and Compliance teams
- Serve as senior most BHF Investments counsel on all aspects of GA management ($80B) + input on additional separate account investments of $150B AUM.
- Advise, review, negotiate, and oversee IMAs with 3 rd party Asset Managers, including reviewing investment management strategy
- Comfortable playing a lead part on the strategic leadership team for newly independent company; high visibility and broad partnership
- Advise PMs on broad array of investment opportunities across all asset classes & structures
- Secure appropriate legal protections for co assets (hedging/ derivatives)
- Reviewing and negotiating agreements, including private equity, private funds, private debt or mortgages, and derivatives holdings
- Review and ensure compliance with account guidelines
- Monitor and advise on regulatory, market developments
- Oversee outside counsel
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- JD, 9+ years relevant experience
- Investments product expertise (from corp bonds to p.e. & alternatives, structured products, derivatives, private placements & bank loans)
- Expertise in derivatives products, strategies, documentation
- Experience overseeing third party IMAs & relationships
- 40Act and/or Chapter 7 & 13 Bankruptcy law experience highly preferred
- Effective executive level communication and influencing skills
- Strong analytical skills and ability to synthesize issues
- Business orientation; ability to weigh risks appropriately to drive towards decision
- Creates partnerships & motivates people; Internal partnership & stakeholder mgmt
- Adept in complex, rapidly evolving environments
- Appropriate sense of urgency for investments environment
Number of Openings: