Prin, Back-End Dev
Senior Software Engineer for Mainframe Transformation Engineering
As a global investments company, BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments, and safeguards nearly one-fifth of the world's financial assets. Every day, our Technology employees make this happen while also seeking out new ways to do it more efficiently and effectively.
As part of BNY Mellon's global Technology organization, you'll have the opportunity to engage with some of the best and brightest, technology, business, and financial minds to find new and better ways to exceed our clients' expectations and build the future of financial services. With more than 230 years of industry leading experience under our belts, you might even say that we are the original fintech.
Clearing, Markets & Issuer Services Technology (CMIST) is responsible for application development and support for more than 350 critical business systems including Repo Edge (collateral management), Enterprise Payment Hub (multi-currency payment processing), and Broker Dealer Clearance (securities clearing). Job Description:
BNY Mellon is undertaking an exciting multi-year journey around complete Mainframe Transformation on a large scale. This role will support in our Mainframe transformation journey, developing the DevOps and micro services capabilities to mainframe platform, also help to bridge the gap b/w infrastructure and application teams.
- Experienced senior Software Engineer with 9 - 11 years of experience with strong mainframe technology with experience in mainframe modernization.
- The candidate will work with various LOBs from different heritage organizations to review legacy system documentation and features and define target -state solution and roadmap
- This candidate should apply Design Thinking in creating Modern, Lightweight and Enterprise-Ready Solutions and Architectures using the latest technologies to build advanced applications, enterprise ready Services/ Microservices platforms.
- The successful candidate will have holistic as well as deep development knowledge in various programming languages and environments, including the latest frameworks and patterns in microservices development.
- Superior written and oral communications skills are mandatory
- Capital market experience is a plus.
Consults with internal business groups to provide high-level application software development services or technical support for backed features and components. Scaling the backend architecture and codebase to support growth. Provides comprehensive senior-level technical consulting to IT management and senior technical staffs. Evaluates compliance with the organization's technology standards. Programming well-designed, testable, efficient code. Analyze, design and develop tests and test-automation suites. Develop flowcharts, layouts and documentation to satisfy requirements and solutions. Maintain software functionality and currency (technical debt and gain). Actively participate in code reviews. Integrate software components into a fully functional software system. Apply security and privacy principles. Works with internal business groups on implementation opportunities, challenges, and requirements of various applications. Analyzes information and provides recommendations to address and resolve business issues for a specific business group. Guides and consults with IT management and technical staffs regarding use of emerging technologies and associated services. Participates in defining corporate implementation and integration strategies of new technologies. Active learning engagement. Complete all required mandatory training / policy awareness curricula on time. Use learning tools such as Pluralsight to complete both recommended and aspirational targets set in personal development plans. Stays abreast of emerging technologies. Advocates for innovative, creative technology solutions. Mentors junior level engineers. Prior experience with using a specific application development toolkit and knowledge of a backend development language required (i.e. C#, Java) S/he must have knowledge about the functions and features of modern and traditional structured methods for developing applications. Communications and organization skills; team work skills ; possess strong interpersonal skills to support mentoring. Contributes to the achievement of area objectives MODIFIED BASED UPON LOCAL REGULATIONS/REQUIREMENTS Bachelor's degree in computer science engineering or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience required 9-11 years of experience in software development required; experience in the securities or financial services industry is a plus. Job holder must have understanding interdependencies and business impact of future IT plans. S/he must have prior lead experience selecting and implementing vendor-specific methodologies and prior consulting experience with structured methodologies. Extensive experience with developing and supporting backend environment required. Job holder must have broad experience with multi-platform development tools and toolkits. Qualifications
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
- Required experience:
- 9- 11 years' experience in the software industry with prior Mainframe Modernization experience using one of these approaches. Rearchitect - Materially alter the application code so you can shift it to a new application architecture and fully exploit new and better capabilities of the application platform. Rebuild - Rebuild or rewrite the application component from scratch while preserving its scope and specifications. Replace - Eliminate the former application component altogether and replace it, taking new requirements and needs into account.
- Proficiency in following development subject areas:
- Strong experience in mainframe Technology - COBOL, DB2 utilities, CICS, JCL, REXX
- Development experience in Java, Spring Framework, Groovy, Shell programming and other scripting languages
- Understanding of modern software design patterns and architecture principles such as CQRS, DDD etc.
- Agile Development
- Demonstrated experience of handling high volume concurrent systems
- Understanding of 12 Factor Applications i.e. ( https://12factor.net/ ) is desirable
- 2+ years of experience in RESTful API design and implementation, including: 2+ years of experience in monolith application decomposition and microservices architectures
- 2+ years of experience in modern DevOps workflows including: Tools such as Git, Jira, Jenkins/Gitlab runner, Maven/Gradle, Containers, PaaS and CaaS - Docker, OpenShift, Kubernetes, Mesosphere DC/OS, Docker, ADDI, zD&T, IDz(or similar), Unit test automation etc.
- 3+ years of experience in agile methodologies SCRUM etc.
- 2+ years in messaging-based architecture using MQ, Kafka
- Agile delivery and testing - Continuous Integration, continuous testing, pairing, automated testing.
- Experience in providing guidance to the delivery teams to detail out the Solution Architecture into implementable Technical Designs
Minorities/Females/Individuals With Disabilities/Protected Veterans. Our ambition is to build the best global team - one that is representative and inclusive of the diverse talent, clients and communities we work with and serve - and to empower our team to do their best work. We support wellbeing and a balanced life, and offer a range of family-friendly, inclusive employment policies and employee forums. Primary Location:
United States-New Jersey-Jersey City Internal Jobcode:
Information Technology Organization:
Clearing Markets ISS Svcs Tech-HR16624 Requisition Number: