Java Developer - Data Architecture
- Jersey City, NJ, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Goldman Sachs USA
- 18 Apr 19
Java Developer - Data Architecture
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB
Goldman Sachs Engineers are innovators and problem-solvers, building solutions in risk management, big data, mobile and more. We look for creative collaborators who evolve, adapt to change and thrive in a fast-paced global environment. Our team, Data Architecture, is focused on the firm's data strategy.
Data Architecture is comprised of 3 teams . Our recruiting process is aligned to find the right fit for you within these three areas of focus and we do want you to learn about each of them in order to align your interests with available roles. If you believe that you have a targeted interest, please do say so.
- Data Lake Engineers are responsible for the Firm's strategic repository for enterprise data. Engineering teams across the Firm are our clients, participating in providing and consuming data to & from the lake. Developers on the team create and manage the software that manages the data in the lake, ensure entitlements are enforced appropriately, data is milestoned, and is available for query on multiple target warehouse platforms. This platform enables structuring, management, integration, control, discovery, usage, and governance of our Data Assets. Solutions Architects on the team engage the firm's Engineering teams to understand their big data needs and help them architect technical solutions that leverage the features and functionality of the Data Lake platform. Join us in Jersey City, Bengaluru, or Dallas.
- Middleware Engineers provide software based infrastructure solutions for data products as a managed service, both on premise and in the public cloud, and subject matter expertise to application teams. This group ensures the firm is positioned for emerging technology offerings and spans Big Data, Database, Messaging, Service Discovery, External Financial Messaging and related engineering efforts. You will be part of a global team responsible for designing, innovating with and maintaining a cohesive managed service offering data platform at scale. This platform must offer both cutting edge as well as time-hardened data solutions. Come join us in Bengaluru, London, Jersey City or Salt Lake City.
- Reconciliation Engineers provide the highest level of reconciliation services globally to internal/external business clients while maintaining a controlled and risk-regulated environment and ensuring the deployment of standard reconciliation framework across the Firm. Our strategic reconciliation platform is dedicated to the processing of reconciliation in real time/batch and provides capabilities such as high volume processing, scalable, resilient, complex matching logic, workflow integration, and control/oversight services.
- Data Lake Development team is looking for individuals who are interested in building java services and application components for high performance, high data volume applications using the latest technology stack, and are willing to learn. The Data Lake is being adopted by technology teams across the Firm at a very high rate. As a result the platform is still growing and evolving. As a developer on the Data Lake team, you will work with the latest technologies such as Apache Spark, Kafka, Elastic Search, and Akka to build complex distributed applications to handle large data sets.
- Data Lake User Engagement team is looking for individuals who can provide strategic thinking and recommend technical solutions to engineering teams across the firm engaged in big data initiatives. As a Solutions Architect you will work closely with the development team to understand the Data Lake offering and be a technical subject matter expert which you will apply to guide our clients to effectively use the Data Lake platform. You will help to remediate user's configuration, stability and performance issues through your hands-on experience with the Data Lake and knowledge of the latest big data technologies such as Apache Hadoop, Spark and Flink as well as development experience with Java and Python.
- Middleware Engineering is looking for engineers who will be at the center of data platform automation and scale. As a developer in this group, you are responsible for the strategy and execution of how to scale all of the firm's databases (> 90,000 Databases on 13 Platforms comprising a variety of Relational DBMS, the Hadoop Stack, Public DBaaS offerings and other NoSQL solutions), messaging offerings (including Kafka, RabbitMQ, Tibco RV, Tibco EMS & WebSphere MQ, public cloud service offerings), external payment messaging systems and various proprietary in-house offerings related to service discovery and distributed computing. The group offers exposure to full stack development, primarily in both Java and Python, to drive an operational interaction model that is heavily automated with services and compute to enable such scale. This role exposes you to public cloud strategy, how to drive highly available solutions, the data needs of all business lines at Goldman Sachs, current industry trends and opportunities to influence data technologies outside of the firm.
- Reconciliation Platform is being adopted by technology teams across the Firm. As a result, the platform is still growing and evolving. The recon team is looking for individuals who are interested in building Java Services and Application Components for high performance, high data volume applications using the latest technology stack. As a developer on the Recon team, you will build complex distributed applications to handle large data sets and provide technical and functional guidance and support to clients of the recon platform
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS Basic Qualifications All Roles
- 3+ years of experience with Java with a good grasp of Java development, Object Oriented Analysis and Design and testing best practices.
- Good understanding of distributed systems
- Working knowledge of scripting languages, Linux, Networking protocols, security and file systems
- Strong technical skills, analytical mindset, self-motivated, independent, creative, can solve interesting and sometimes difficult technical problems under time pressure and resource constraints
- Commercially focused; seeks to understand the requirements and how they will benefit our clients, stakeholders, and business
- Experience with all stages in the development lifecycle: inception, analysis, design, review, testing, and deployment
- Good sense of user interaction and usability design to provide an intuitive, seamless end user experience.
- Experience building and sustaining long-term relationships with clients and colleagues in a diverse global organization
- Judgment to prioritize and escalate issues in order to influence objectives and outcomes.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including experience working directly with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Experience with developing Workflow, Spark, MapReduce, Flink, Elasticsearch, and Sybase IQ.
- 3-5 years of software development and/or business management experience, with particular focus on business data management in a client/user facing role
- Comfortable handling a large volume of emails and phone calls
- A healthy obsession on customer satisfaction and the customer experience, and a willingness to be its internal advocate
- The ability to self-direct as circumstances change and priorities shift, based on organizational needs, without constant & overt micromanagement
- Ability to stay commercially focused and to always push for quantifiable commercial impact
- Ability to collaborate effectively across global teams and communicate complex ideas in a simple manner
- Extensive knowledge and proven experience applying domain driven design to build complex business applications or processes
- Development experience with Python, with a focus on Django, RESTful Web Services, React UI Development
- Development experience with Java, with a focus on Injection Design Patterns, Swagger, RAML
- Experience managing infrastructure at scale, including provisioning.
- Understanding of Enterprise Hardware & Software Resilience Patterns
- Experience managing and automating on-premise and public cloud based platforms as a service
- Genuine interest in following technology trends, become an SME in deep stacks with a desire to influence external products over time
- Demonstrated interest in Data products
- Previous experience or demonstrated understanding of security control planes
- Required Moderate SQL experience on an enterprise RDBMS database, such as DB2 (preferred platform)
- Experience with developing Elasticsearch, React, JSON, XML and Messaging, Injection Design Patterns, Kafka and Event Driven Principles and Patterns
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
Â© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2018. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.