Senior Controls Officer
Global Markets Controls is looking for a VP candidate to support both Front Office and Middle Office teams in Global Markets. As a Controls function, we ensure that appropriate levels of supervisory oversight are maintained across Global Markets. The Controls team is responsible for running Operational Risk through analysis, control testing, and reporting & governance forums. The team is tasked with resolving hot topic issues which prevent or slow business. By demonstrating Lean Six Sigma process improvement techniques, we measure and analyze current processes, and engineer changes when gaps exist to ensure adequate controls. The successful candidate is an independent thinker with strong analytical skills, who will collaborate within a team to achieve the broader goals and objectives.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to work on projects spanning many diverse groups within the Global Market division. You will be encouraged to regularly work well with business partners in various Business, Risk, and Compliance and Audit functions. This role is fast paced with a constantly evolving scope, which includes reactive tasks to control incidents, and proactive work to improve the sensitive environment. The GM Controls Raleigh team utilizes Lean Six Sigma techniques and Robotic Process Automation tools to solve complex problems and automate the control landscape.
- Perform tyre kick sessions to deep dive into processes and procedures, perform root cause analysis, and provide recommendations on adjusting the control environment to improve client experience.
- Evaluate the design and performance of existing controls, identifying potential risks through control gaps.
- Perform control testing and front-to-back quality assurance reviews to measure control efficiency in BAU processes. Drive remediation actions and partner with process owners to implement changes.
- Participate in existing and/or develop new governance forums to bring relevant business partners together, enable visible and accountable reporting, and allow for accurate partner concern channels.
- Collect raw data from various sources, perform data mining, and develop metrics, to resolve business problems and identify trends leading to control breaks.
- Define new control reports where necessary to help retain control over regulatory requirements, and compliance with current firm policies and processes.
- Actively monitor controls and open action points (Compliance, Internal Audit, Regulatory Reporting, RCSA, Incidents), to ensure all existing issues are addressed within appropriate timeframes.
- Ensure timely facilitation of month-end and year-end completeness of Global Markets compliance to section 404 of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX); including Beginning of Year and End of Year processes.
- Provide assistance to control and process owners in Global Markets for CCAR and IHC testing and documentation.
- Review existing control inventories and ensure they are up to the standards set in the Control Activities Framework.
- Provide full assistance to internal clients as required, including formal and informal training.
- Opportunity for leading people
- At least 7+ years of experience in Financial Services, with 2+ years in Risk organization (Audit, Compliance, SOX, Operational Risk, Controls).
- Outstanding Knowledge of the operation and/or control environment at CS is a plus!
- Lean Six Sigma certification and/or process improvement knowledge preferred.
- More-advanced Microsoft Excel (e.g: pivot tables, VLOOKUP), PowerPoint, Visio, Word, and SharePoint skills.
- Proficient in financial/strategic analysis. Ability to conduct complex analysis under tight timelines.
- Highly motivated and willing to work in both team and independent situations.
- Flexibility to take things on not wholly within the written scope of the function, and can prioritize multiple issues simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills.
- Experienced in handling a small team.
- Comfortable dealing directly with senior internal clients and global business partners.
- Clearly communicates status to manager and is transparent in bringing up risks/issues.
- Highly organized and has strong attention to detail.