- Charlotte, NC, USA
- Self Employed, Full time
- Brighthouse Financial, Inc.
- 18 Nov 18
Brighthouse Financial is a new company established by MetLife. We're on a mission to help people achieve financial security. Built on a foundation of industry knowledge and experience, we specialize in offering essential annuity and life insurance products designed to help customers protect what they've earned and ensure it lasts more predictably. In an industry that often has a reputation for complexity, confusion, and cost, Brighthouse Financial is different. Our approach includes simplicity, transparency, and more value so customers can face the future with confidence.
Brighthouse Financial is seeking passionate, high-performing team members to help us carry out our mission and be part of an exciting journey toward improving the financial futures of our millions of customers. Sound like you? Read on.
Role Value Proposition:
As an Underwriter Consultant you will evaluate applications for individual life insurance and accept or decline the risk based upon analysis of medical history, occupational hazards, financial background, insurable interest or other information pertinent to the decision. Interact daily with producers and agents to gather information and explain decisions and courses of action. As a member of our underwriting team, you will work with a variety of internal and external partners to ensure prompt and efficient service to our customers, consult with medical and underwriting experts, and participate in ongoing learning and technical development.
- Appraises and underwrites complex applications for individual life insurance up to assigned approval limits
- Determines substandard risks up to assigned approval limits
- Contacts field force and medical consultants concerning questionable medical or personal situations
- Effectively communicates adverse findings to field force, and supports underwriting courses of actions
- Acts on reinstatement cases or changes to existing policies
- Reviews and analyzes variable life insurance applications for appropriate risk suitability and ensures proper compliance with FINRA/SEC regulations
- Performs policy issue responsibilities that meet compliance and suitability regulations and result in accurately issued policies
- May have authority to co-sign on cases for less experienced underwriters
- Performs other duties as required or assigned
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- 5 - 8 years of underwriting experience
- Typically requires a Bachelor's degree or equivalent business training
- Solid knowledge of insurance products, services, operations, and business systems
- Solid knowledge of underwriting rules, policies and procedures
- Strong understanding of medical terminology, human biology and anatomy
- Knowledge of insurance principles including mortality, insurable interest and actuarial theory
- Competencies: Focuses on Customers, Use of Sound Business Judgment, Decision- making Ability, Communicates Effectively, Produces Results
- 1 to 3 years of Long Term Care or other types of disability underwriting experience
- Supervisory Responsibilities: May provide guidance to less experienced staff
- Underwriting Authority: $1MM - $3MM