Technology & Privacy Contracts Counsel
Job Description : Job Description
The Technology & Privacy Contracts Counsel
role will be supporting the bank with regards to technology contracting. On a day to day basis, the attorney in this role will be reviewing and approving technology contracts on behalf of the technology legal team/legal department for Truist, negotiating favorable contract terms with vendors, and responding to related questions and concerns from business units.
Candidates should have a demonstrated capability in information technology issues and developments, and have an interest in being part of a specialized and fast-paced in house practice supporting a broad array of business uses of technology. A combination of applicable transactional experience in the areas of general corporate, corporate finance, information technology transactions and/or financial institution experience is required. A background in supporting contracting efforts in house at an organization relative to information technology, outsourcing or cloud services is preferred as is experience with other strategic supply chain transactions.
In addition to the above, specific skills, experience and qualifications relevant to this position also include the following:
• Cloud Contracting: Candidates should have a general understanding and preferably some experience with negotiation of cloud contracts. An understanding and general awareness of cloud related concerns/topics including but not limited to data privacy and security standards, disaster recovery, encryption, geographical restrictions, regulatory and compliance issues, service level requirements and penalties, change management processes, business continuity, mandatory flow-down of terms to subcontractors, and termination rights.
• Offshoring: Experience reviewing and negotiating contracts and addressing legal concerns relative to the offshoring of information technology.
• Privacy Laws and Regulations: Experience with privacy related laws and regulation, including but not limited to those particularly relevant to the financial industry - GLBA, FCRA, FACTA, FDCPA. Knowledge of pending privacy related legislation such as CCPA and other state level proposed legislation is also desirable. This role may assist the greater technology & privacy legal team in supporting Truist with regards to interpretation of privacy law and its application to our systems, offerings, and processes (both internal and customer facing).
• IP Ownership/Licensing: Support establishing and protecting Truist's intellectual property (as well as legacy IP) and provide counsel on the implementation of marketing plans.
• Security: Experience counseling clients on cybersecurity matters, including the analysis of security risks in corporate transactions. Candidates should also have an understanding of IT and Security technical concepts and methodologies.
• A strong interest in working on cutting edge matters in technology, privacy and cybersecurity for a large financial institution. On February 7, 2019, it was announced that SunTrust Banks, Inc. and BB&T Corporation intend to merge, with the combined entity to be named Truist Financial Corporation ("Truist"). The merger is subject to regulatory approval, and BB&T and SunTrust remain separate and independent companies until the merger closes. This position, which would be for a role with Truist or an affiliate, is contingent upon the merger receiving regulatory approval and closing. Minimum Requirements:
• Bachelor's and JD Degrees from Accredited Colleges and Law Schools
• 3-5 years of post -bar transactional legal experience specific to technology and outsourcing practice.
• Proven self-starter willing to work independently and take on a good deal of responsibility, with a strong background in technology contracts and related work experience. Preferred Requirements:
• Related certifications: Candidates with either a CISSP or CIPP certification are preferred; additional certifications in the privacy and cybersecurity field will be viewed favorably. Qualifications
Equal Opportunity Employer: SunTrust supports a diverse workforce and is a Drug Testing and Equal Opportunity Employer. SunTrust does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, marital status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable laws.
To review the EEO Poster, copy and paste the following link into your browser: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf