Sr Underwriting Consultant
Brighthouse Financial is on a mission to help people achieve financial security. As one of the largest providers of annuities and life insurance in the U.S., we specialize in products designed to help people protect what they've earned and ensure it lasts. We are built on a foundation of experience and knowledge, which allows us to keep our promises and provide the value they deserve.
At Brighthouse Financial, we're fostering a culture where diverse backgrounds and experiences are celebrated, and different ideas are heard and respected. We believe that by creating an inclusive workplace, we're better able to attract and retain our talent, provide valuable solutions that meet the needs of our advisors and their clients, and deliver on our mission of helping more people achieve financial security. We're se eking passionate, high-performing team member to join us. Sound like you? Read on. How This Role Contributes to Brighthouse Financial:
Candidates should embrace leading in a team-based environment and collaborating with other leaders to help Brighthouse Financial successfully grow market share and provide outstanding service to our in-force customers. As a Senior Underwriting Consultant - Life New Business and Operations, you will be responsible for reviewing cases to identify insurable risks, managing internal and external relationships with partners and working within a complex electronic environment. Key Responsibilities:
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Underwrites and accepts/rejects individual mortality and morbidity risks in accordance to Brighthouse underwriting guidelines. Case level work assignments may vary and may include face amounts up to and exceeding $10M.
- Identifies trends and issues and offers the best underwriting solutions.
- Interacts with customers to simplify the acquisition process while protecting mortality results.
- Mentors less experienced underwriting professionals and may provide second signature review.
- May assist in delivering or developing training materials for use in LNB&UW
- Builds partnerships with internal and external business areas critical to the success of the LNB&UW group.
- Demonstrates strong knowledge of accelerated underwriting principles.
- Understands rules engine parameters, triage and the e-app environment.
- May assist in post-issue development of in force policies and recommend various actions if fraud is developed.
- Plans, evaluates, and improves the efficiency of business processes and procedures to enhance speed, quality, efficiency, and output of the organization.
- Makes business decisions that are financially responsible, accountable, justifiable, and defensible in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
- Works collaboratively with new business vendors to ensure time service, quality and adherence to business operating guidelines.
- May assist in various projects within LNB&UW as delegated by their leader.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge of insurance principles including mortality, morbidity, insurable interest and actuarial theory
- 8+ years of individual mortality insurance underwriting or equivalent experience (1-4/10,5- 8/11, 12/9+)
- Some morbidity underwriting experience preferred
- Undergraduate degree preferred or equivalent work experience
- AALU required, FALU preferred
- FLMI required or obtain within 12-18 months of employment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to communicate clearly and concisely by telephone and email.
- Strong listening skills to ensure understanding of associate and customer questions and concerns. Overall, ability to effectively communicate.
- Ability to foster and develop successful professional relationships to elicit the trust and confidence of our customers and business partners
- Works with a sense of accountability and ownership; results driven
- Open to direction and Collaborative work style
- Solid knowledge of insurance products, services, operations, and business systems
- Competencies: Focuses on Customers, Use of Sound Business Judgment, Decision- making Ability, Communicates Effectively, Produces Results
- Supervisory Responsibilities: Prior experience mentoring or training junior underwriters preferred.
- Easily adaptable to changes in business processes, work priorities and work environment
- Comfortable with new technology and operating within multiple systems/work environments.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office