Senior Accounting Consultant - Investments
- Charlotte, NC, USA
- Self Employed, Full time
- Brighthouse Financial, Inc.
- 18 Mar 19
Senior Accounting Consultant - Investments
Brighthouse Financial is on a mission to help people achieve financial security. As one of the largest providers of annuities and life insurance in the U.S., we specialize in products designed to help people protect what they've earned and ensure it lasts. We are built on a foundation of experience and knowledge, which allows us to keep our promises and provide the value they deserve.
At Brighthouse Financial, we're fostering a culture where diverse backgrounds and experiences are celebrated, and different ideas are heard and respected. We believe that by creating an inclusive workplace, we're better able to attract and retain our talent, provide valuable solutions that meet the needs of our advisors and their clients, and deliver on our mission of helping more people achieve financial security. We're seeking passionate, high-performing team member to join us. Sound like you? Read on.
How This Role Contributes to Brighthouse Financial:
The Investments Finance Senior Accounting Consultant will report directly to the Director of Investments Finance supporting primarily the production and analysis of the Net Investment Income (NII) projection including the projection of invested assets, unrealized gain/loss, realized gain/loss, impairments, and other comprehensive income for the Investment Forecast and Financial Plan. This individual will assist the Investment Accounting Analytics & Reporting team with the actual to projected variance analysis and attribution. Establishing strong relationships while supporting Investments, Financial Planning & Analysis, Risk Adjusted Profitability Management, Corporate Risk Management, and Treasury GA ALM departments is important in this role.
- Steward of the Investment Forecasting Model to be used for the projection of NII for the Investment Forecast and Financial Plan
- Responsible for the preparation and production of the NII projection and related inputs and outputs for the quarterly Investment Forecast and Financial Plan to be utilized for the following purposes:
- Quarterly Earnings Calls, Press Releases, and Analyst Calls
- Board of Director Reporting
- Investment Committee Reporting
- Annual Investment Plan
- Quarterly Earnings Projections
- Quarterly Actual to Projection Attribution Analysis
- Risk Analysis & Testing
- Maintain modeling infrastructure, including model and control documentation, assumption setting, model calibration and adjustment to methodology of the Investment Forecasting Model.
- Responsible for preparing and adjusting inputs for NII projection model such as the investment strategy, assumptions, holdings position data, asset manager investment data, corporate capital and tax cash flows, liability cash flows, derivative projections.
- Prepare and execute the quarterly NII projection model including GAAP and Statutory invested assets and NII projections under base case, capital stress scenarios, and sensitivity tests.
- Assist with the preparation of attribution analysis for current to prior projections, current projections to actuals, and current projection compared to the annual plan for invested assets and net investment income.
- Assist with the preparation of various Investment Forecast deliverables to be shared with the Chief Investment Officer, Chief Financial Officer, and the Chief Accounting Officer.
- Prepare and provide supplemental projection data analysis and other ad hoc requests including projected asset roll forward reports, yield analysis, projected cash flow analysis, market change impact analysis.
- Support Investment Finance leadership during the quarterly conference calls with Investments, Financial Planning & Analysis, and Financial Reporting.
- Provide backup on the projection and plan data upload to Business Planning and Consolidation (BPC) application and review results.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- 5+ years of relevant experience in finance, accounting, or SEC GAAP and/or Statutory financial reporting, with a strong preference for a background in Investments.
- Knowledge of NII projections or Financial Planning a plus.
- Well versed in the development of performance reporting & analytics, strong quantitative and analytical skills.
- Advanced Excel, VBA and Access skills including use of macros and ability to create and maintain databases desired.
- Ability to prioritize multiple competing objectives in a deadline-oriented environment.
- Strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well and be agile within a team environment, build partnerships and work collectively within Finance, Investments, and with personnel across the organization.
- MBA, CPA, CFA, or FSA preferred.