SOX Compliance and Financial Reporting Adviser
- Charlotte, NC, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Brighthouse Financial, Inc.
- 20 Feb 18 2018-02-20
SOX Compliance and Financial Reporting Adviser
Brighthouse Financial is a new company established by MetLife. We're on a mission to help people achieve financial security. Built on a foundation of industry knowledge and experience, we specialize in offering essential annuity and life insurance products designed to help customers protect what they've earned and ensure it lasts more predictably. In an industry that often has a reputation for complexity, confusion, and cost, Brighthouse Financial is different. Our approach includes simplicity, transparency, and more value so customers can face the future with confidence.
Brighthouse Financial is seeking passionate, high-performing team members to help us carry out our mission and be part of an exciting journey toward improving the financial futures of our millions of customers. Sound like you? Read on.
Role Value Proposition:
This position will support the coordination of enterprise activities related to ICFR compliance within the Financial Controls Department (FCD). Within FCD, this position includes serving as the primary liaison for Sarbanes-Oxley 302 Certification (specifically with respect to the coordination, facilitation and follow-up) between Process Owners and Business Leader; ensuring compliance within the SOX GRC Tool, OpenPages, and assisting with the coordination, tracking and reporting status of the financial statement audit requests from the External auditor.
This position will also support the External/Financial Reporting function with the coordination and administration of the sub-certification internal Representation Letter process and Significant Transaction Related Party related to certification. Lastly, this position will support the Technical Accounting function with respect to various monitoring and tracking activities related to accounting guidance and disclosure checklist.
Financial Control Department
- Support and facilitate quarterly SOX self-assessments in the Control Assessment Tracking System providing support and training to users and status reports to management
- Utilize GRC tool for quarerly self-assessment review and analysis
- Track, monitor and produce reporting metrics to ensure that SOX 302 objectives are met timely and communicated to FCD Management
- Interface with FCD personnel to ensure SOX 302 objectives and deliverables are met and communicated.
- Execute planning activities including scope determination for SOX/MAR processes including financial statement analysis and linkage to SOX/MAR business processes.
- Perform review of ledger/account line item to prepare summarized ledger financial data to support legal entity materiality and deficiency analysis.
- Monitor of quarterly Process Owner attestations for issues that arise and analyze results and produced metrics for program impact.
- Review and document with Management any exceptions identified during walkthrough or testing of controls, provide recommendations for remediating activities, and work with process owners to
- Guide and support business process owners with controls review, design, and implementation.
- Liaise with Internal Audit to facilitate completeness of the scope of SOX/MAR testing.
- Coordinate/Administer internal representation letter sub-certifications and Significant Transactions / Related Party report compilation.
- Track, follow- up, report status of internal representation letter sub-certifications and Significant Transactions / Related Party report completeness and signoff.
Technical Accounting Group (TAG)
- Maintain tracking lists of emerging US GAAP and statutory accounting guidance.
- Administer SharePoint database of accounting policies and external guidance
- Coordinate learning and development program led by the Technical Accounting Group.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Graduate or undergraduate degree/major in accounting/finance or related financial field
- CPA or equivalent with 2 - 5 years of experience in public accounting preferred.
- Minimum 5 or more years with progressive experience in auditing, internal controls, or financial operations/reporting
- Strong financial operations business knowledge, best practices or experience
- Working knowledge of PCAOB (Public Company Accounting Oversight Board), Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX), Model Audit Rule (MAR)
- Strong analytical ability
- Ability to deal effectively with individuals of all levels of the corporate structure, including various teams and Lines of Business without direct authority
- Demonstrated experience leading critical initiatives, including project development, identifying needed resources and key milestones, and effectively monitoring progress to conclusion
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results by working independently and lead work teams and coordinate activities with risk management partners