Network Solution Engineer
Brighthouse Financial is on a mission to help people achieve financial security. As one of the largest providers of annuities and life insurance in the U.S., we specialize in products designed to help people protect what they've earned and ensure it lasts. We are built on a foundation of experience and knowledge, which allows us to keep our promises and provide the value they deserve.
At Brighthouse Financial, we're fostering a culture where diverse backgrounds and experiences are celebrated, and different ideas are heard and respected. We believe that by creating an inclusive workplace, we're better able to attract and retain our talent, provide valuable solutions that meet the needs of our advisors and their clients, and deliver on our mission of helping more people achieve financial security. We're se eking passionate, high-performing team member to join us. Sound like you? Read on. How This Role Contributes to Brighthouse Financial:
The Network Solution Engineer is responsible for articulating the technical standards and solutions for all technologies within the Network domain. They help convey and execute the technical strategy and vision set forth by IT leadership. They are ultimately accountable for overall technical design and operations of the network including establishing its associated Non-Functional Requirements such as; availability, recoverability, performance, capacity management and risk/vulnerability management. They partner closely with managed service providers, enterprise architecture, IT security, audit/risk and delivery teams to continuously improve the technologies within their domain. From time to time, they may be asked to participate with level 2/3 support for technologies in their domain during incidents. Role Value Proposition:
The Network Solution Engineer will be part of the BHF's Infrastructure and Operations team accountable for ensuring the design, build, release and stability of all solutions within the network domain including, but not limited to; LAN, SD-WAN, Wireless Network, Network Access Controls and Security, Private Cloud Connectivity, Routing, VPN, DNS, DHCP and Domain Management. This role will ensure all technical solutions are fully integrated with IT Service Management, operations and information security. This role will be responsible for partnering with enterprise architecture, vendors and managed providers to develop a 3-5 year technical roadmap. They will also play the role of Solution Owner for any network driven enhancements and technical releases within the Infrastructure and Operations organization.
The Network Solution Engineer will be part of dynamic and matrixed team of technology professionals that will be instrumental in maturing BHF's next generation of infrastructure services. The individual in this role will work as the primary network engineer in supporting the managed support provider by helping effectively prioritize, plan, implement, monitor and continuously improve all network related technologies and solutions across the enterprise. She/he will be responsible for validating solution designs, engineering standards, non-functional requirements and ensure that all solutions follow BHF's SDLC delivery process. This role will also play a key part in supporting incident and problem management by providing L2/L3 support and direction as needed. Key Responsibilities:
The Network Solution Engineer is accountable for the operational oversight of BHF's enterprise network including any associated technologies and solutions. The solution engineer will help prioritize, plan, implement, monitor and continuously improve all solutions in accordance with the organization's technical strategy, architectural designs, industry best practices, regulatory and/or compliance requirements. As the needs of BHF change, the Network Solution Engineer will be responsible for identifying and recommending enhancements within the network domain.
This role will also contribute to the infrastructure and operations strategy and will be a key role in providing reliable, secure network connectivity aimed at improving the performance and user experience of our enterprise workforce. They are accountable for overseeing network configuration management, recovery plans, technical requirements and interfacing directly with IT solution owners, support partners, architecture and managed service providers to provide technical direction and communications.
Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Sets technical standards and direction for all technologies within the Network domain such as; LAN, WAN, DNS, DHCP, Wireless Network, Private Cloud Connectivity, Routing, Network Access Controls and Security, VPN, QoS Tagging, Network Segmentation, Telephony and Video, etc.
- Develops and owns engineering and design artifacts for respective solution, e.g., low level designs and configuration documentation
- Participates in IT project work, accountable for engineering design activities within the SDLC where solution technologies are required
- Oversees technical solutions delivered and managed by strategic partners to validate their use of best practices and alignment to BHF technical standards
- Provides level 2/3 technical support for network related incidents
- Partners closely with enterprise architecture to establish a 3-5 year network roadmap and regularly participates in architecture review board meetings
- Ensures that all network technologies and solutions are properly integrated with IT Service Management processes such as, but not limited to; incident, problem, change, availability, configuration, capacity and service level management
- Reviews operational health reports and recommends new projects aimed at improving the health or quality of the BHF network
- Reviews Statements of Work and requirements for technical completeness and accuracy
- Provides first level of approval for technical changes related to the network
- Establishes performance baselines for network performance and validates proper monitoring and telemetry is in place to proactively detect and resolve problems
- Works to identify and close out risks and/or vulnerabilities related to the BHF enterprise network in a timely manner
- Promotes automation and programmatic orchestration wherever possible to achieve "Best in Cost" delivery and support model
- Works with enterprise architecture to define standard network connectivity patterns to integrate cloud providers into the BHF network in a secure and consistent manner
- Partners with managed network providers to capture and analyze network traces, trace routes or other troubleshooting needed to help identify and resolve network connectivity and/or performance issues
- Develops and provides technical training for other team members and 3 rd party providers to improve awareness and education of the BHF enterprise network solutions, roadmap and standards
- Attends network related user groups, webinars and technical conferences representing Brighthouse Financial to share and gain insights from other companies and peers across various industries
- Bachelor's degree and 5+ years of related experience as a network engineer
- Must have deep understanding of network protocols, routing, switching, wireless access points, network security, QoS and VPN technologies
- Strong background in Cisco networking technologies
- Working knowledge and experience with Merkai, Dynatrace, Moogsoft, Skype Telephone (Cloud PBX) and Polycom Video Conferencing knowledge considered a plus
- Experience in the design, build and deployment of network technologies across an enterprise
- Knowledge of Cisco licensing and support models
- Ability to capture and analyze network traces, packet sniffer and/or TAPs
- Demonstratable experience documenting, designing and maintaining network artifacts
- Experience working within project management lifecycles and methodologies, e.g., SDLC, Agile, Lean
- Excellent communication skills with ability to easily navigate across functional teams and providers
- Knowledge of laws, regulations, guidelines, and frameworks within the financial services industry such as; NY-DFS, FFIEC, NIST, COBIT, ISO27001, etc.
- Enjoys working in a growth oriented, entrepreneurial, high-energy environment
- Ability to effectively execute concurrent activities and maintain focus on key details during times of crisis and heightened pressure
- Relevant certification(s) preferred - Cisco, CompTIA, Microsoft, VMware, AWS, etc.
Less than 5% Number of Openings: