Leader of Market Risk
- Charlotte, NC, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Brighthouse Financial, Inc.
- 17 Feb 18 2018-02-17
Leader of Market Risk
Job Location: Charlotte, NC
Brighthouse Financial is a new company established by MetLife. We're on a mission to help people achieve financial security. Built on a foundation of industry knowledge and experience, we specialize in offering essential annuity and life insurance products designed to help customers protect what they've earned and ensure it lasts more predictably. In an industry that often has a reputation for complexity, confusion, and cost, Brighthouse Financial is different. Our approach includes simplicity, transparency, and more value so customers can face the future with confidence.
Brighthouse Financial is seeking passionate, high-performing team members to help us carry out our mission and be part of an exciting journey toward improving the financial futures of our millions of customers. Sound like you? Read on.
Role Value Proposition:
The Leader, Market Risk Management will be a key role within the Risk Management team leading the market risk function and reporting directly to the Head of Strategic Risk and Model Risk Management at Brighthouse. This position will require a deep understanding of market and liquidity risks, along with the economic drivers of market risk. This position also requires experience with ALM strategies, including the use of derivatives. This position will play a key role in the development and implementation of market risk and liquidity risk management strategies, tools, policies, processes and controls.
The person in this role will build out the market risk team and develop the procedures and framework for oversight and effective challenge of ALM strategies and decisions, oversight of the risks associated with hedging activities and liquidity risk assessment and analysis. The incumbent will need sufficient experience, stature, and credibility in the organization (including Investments, Actuarial, Treasury and Finance) to provide the effective challenge consistent with industry best market risk practices.
- Set a team climate that aligns to the Brighthouse culture
- Employ inspiring leadership qualities that result in motivated teams
- Design and build a separate review and oversight framework capable of providing an informed view on Brighthouse Financial's market risk exposures and assessments.
- Lead the development of market risk strategies to be presented to the Risk Committee.
- Actively participate in ALM Working Groups to identify, monitor, and provide a risk management perspective on issues and strategies, working closely with partners in Investments, Finance, Treasury, Actuarial and the business. Review recommended changes and enhancements to portfolio investment guidelines.
- Develop analytics and reporting of market risk exposures, either directly or indirectly with the support of other functions.
- Participate in the development and production of economic assumptions used for enterprise stress testing (GAAP, statutory and liquidity) in support of the Risk Committee.
- Effectively communicate and accurately represent the enterprise market risk profile with key stakeholders.
- Oversee ad hoc modeling and analysis for projects, working groups and committees related to market risk or derivatives risk
- Lead market risk analysts
Key Relationships :
• Reports to: Head of Strategic Risk and Model Risk Management
• Direct reports/team: 2+
• Other Key Stakeholders: Actuary, Treasury, Investments and Finance
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Excellent analytic skills with an advanced degree in math, finance, statistics, or engineering preferred; CFA preferred; FRM, PRM, CPA, CERA or Ph.D. a plus.
- 10+ years of related experience in Financial Services with 6+ years of that experience in hands-on risk management, asset-liability management, trading, and/or portfolio management experience, including experience in a leadership role
- Deep understanding of fixed income investments, equities, and derivatives, with a focus on market risk
- Strong understanding of insurance liabilities and capital markets products
- Excellent project management, oral and written communication skills, and ability to operate effectively in a matrix environment
- Extensive experience modeling assets and liabilities; experience with statistical and econometric modeling; experience with liquidity risk
Number of Openings
Travel will be very limited as Charlotte, NC is the corporate headquarters with infrequent travel to operations in Convent Station, NJ and Tampa, FL.