Director Employee Relations
Brighthouse Financial is on a mission to help people achieve financial security. As one of the largest providers of annuities and life insurance in the U.S., we specialize in products designed to help people protect what they've earned and ensure it lasts. We are built on a foundation of experience and knowledge, which allows us to keep our promises and provide the value they deserve.
At Brighthouse Financial, we're fostering a culture where diverse backgrounds and experiences are celebrated, and different ideas are heard and respected. We believe that by creating an inclusive workplace, we're better able to attract and retain our talent, provide valuable solutions that meet the needs of our advisors and their clients, and deliver on our mission of helping more people achieve financial security. We're seeking passionate, high-performing team member to join us. Sound like you? Read on. How This Role Contributes to Brighthouse Financial:
Reporting to the Chief HR Officer, this position will be responsible for the employee relations function of Brighthouse Financial. The Senior ER Advisor must manage incoming employee relations calls and messages, work closely with HR Business Partners and Employment Law, lead or oversee investigations and perform all duties with the highest degree of confidentiality and accountability. He or she will possess the ability to work independently while considering input from multiple stakeholders to make formal recommendations. Key Responsibilities:
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Serves as a senior level employee relations subject matter expert, working under minimal supervision.
- Provides effective service, support, consultation and resolution of ER inquiries, issues, and investigations through the informed application of company policies, programs, procedures, and federal/state laws.
- Maintains confidential and appropriate records of all inquiries and complaints, including follow up and resolution.
- Determines facts and investigates issues in collaboration with HR Business Partners, Compliance and Employment Law as appropriate.
- Leads the identification and analysis of employee relations trends and emerging issues.
- Manages the exit interview process across Brighthouse Financial including exit surveys and interviews.
- Acts as the lead on the employee handbook and all policy updates, changes, and interpretation. Also manages the required notices for each work location.
- Researches and shares external information on ER best practices and innovations.
- Advises on content development and may facilitate associate/manager training and communications on employee relations topics.
- Receives intake of matters from Compliance, Audit, Special Investigations Unit and IT Security
- Other HR duties as assigned.
- 8-10 years of Employee Relations experience
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources or related field or equivalent experience.
- Broad and deep knowledge of Employee Relations theory, practice, policies, and procedures
- Working knowledge of all aspects of Human Resources and connection points with ER
- Excellent conflict resolution, negotiation, and influencing skills
- Collaboration across HR, Employment Law and businesses
- Flexibility and ability to handle multiple priorities
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong research and trend analysis skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- No formal supervisory responsibilities, but may guide the activities of lower level staff members
- Employment law experience preferred, not required
Less than 5%