Brighthouse Financial is on a mission to help people achieve financial security. As one of the largest providers of annuities and life insurance in the U.S., we specialize in products designed to help people protect what they've earned and ensure it lasts. We are built on a foundation of experience and knowledge, which allows us to keep our promises and provide the value they deserve.
At Brighthouse Financial, we're fostering a culture where diverse backgrounds and experiences are celebrated, and different ideas are heard and respected. We believe that by creating an inclusive workplace, we're better able to attract and retain our talent, provide valuable solutions that meet the needs of our advisors and their clients, and deliver on our mission of helping more people achieve financial security. We're se eking passionate, high-performing team member to join us. Sound like you? Read on. How This Role Contributes to Brighthouse Financial:
This position represents the unique opportunity to work for a start-up, but one with long-standing experience in the financial services industry. The responsibilities of this position include: (1) providing strategic legal advice and support regarding litigation oversight and management for a public company; (2) handling and/or managing a broad range of litigation, pre-litigation, and regulatory matters; and (3) exercising influence and leadership with business partners and colleagues to help achieve results.
The candidate must be able to provide excellent legal advice and representation, have demonstrated a high degree of discretion and judgment, have the intellectual curiosity to keep abreast of the changing legal climate on issues relevant to a national provider of income and protection products and services, and to have a strong commitment to personal growth, demonstrating leadership and developing talent. Key Responsibilities:
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- The position is responsible for advising internal clients with respect to actual and threatened litigation relating to all aspects of the company's business and identifying opportunities to improve processes and business practices which will mitigate risk and better protect the Company.
- Duties include providing advice on a full range of litigation and pre-litigation issues, including:
- Disclosure and reserving issues
- Meeting e-discovery obligations (including managing legal holds and document collections)
- Research and writing, managing outside counsel
- Budgeting and reviewing outside counsel invoices
- Advising business clients regarding litigation risks and strategy
- Negotiating settlements
- Developing and presenting training to business partners.
- Responsibilities will also include providing insurance-related legal advice in connection with the issuance, administration and distribution of Brighthouse Financial life and annuity products.
- Ability to operate well in a lean environment and partner with Legal and non-legal peers on a variety of Brighthouse initiatives as needed.
- JD degree from accredited law school
- Excellent academic credentials
- Admission to state and federal bar
- 3-6 years of litigation experience
- Experience in the financial services or insurance industry strongly preferred
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Superior oral and written communications skills
- Demonstrated commitment to leadership and developing talent
- Demonstrated record of attention to detail, sense of urgency, ability to handle substantial workload effectively (i.e., establish priorities, adhere to deadlines)
- Willingness to partner with colleagues and business partners to contribute to success of the company
- Ability to thrive as a team member and individual contributor in a high-performance culture
- Provide creative input in culture of continuous improvement with respect to policies and procedures of the Law Department and our business partners
- Knowledge of life insurance and annuity products and litigation experience relating to those products desirable, but not required
Up to 10%