- Charlotte, NC, USA
- Self Employed, Full time
- Brighthouse Financial, Inc.
- 24 Apr 19
Brighthouse Financial is on a mission to help people achieve financial security. As one of the largest providers of annuities and life insurance in the U.S., we specialize in products designed to help people protect what they've earned and ensure it lasts. We are built on a foundation of experience and knowledge, which allows us to keep our promises and provide the value they deserve.
At Brighthouse Financial, we're fostering a culture where diverse backgrounds and experiences are celebrated, and different ideas are heard and respected. We believe that by creating an inclusive workplace, we're better able to attract and retain our talent, provide valuable solutions that meet the needs of our advisors and their clients, and deliver on our mission of helping more people achieve financial security. We're seeking passionate, high-performing team member to join us. Sound like you? Read on.
Role Value Proposition: This position represents the unique opportunity to work for a start-up, but one with long-standing experience in the financial services industry. The responsibilities of this position include: (1) negotiation, coordination, and drafting of various complex technology and other vendor agreements; (2) providing strategic legal advice and support to various business units regarding technology and outsourcing transactions; and (3) exercising influence and leadership with business partners and colleagues to help achieve results. The position also brings with it the opportunity to help improve processes in order to enhance the capabilities of the Procurement Legal function in a new company.
- Using established company templates and vendor templates, negotiate, coordinate, and draft large volume of vendor agreements including consulting, software licensing, outsourcing, cloud hosting services, statements of work and change orders.
- Provide strategic legal advice and support on IT, data privacy and data security issues as they relate to vendor contracts.
- Assist in developing and updating contract templates to mitigate risk for the company and streamline negotiations.
- Balance legal and business risks.
- Demonstrate skills as a strong practitioner and negotiator, a creative problem-solver, self-starter and hard worker.
- Demonstrate strong service orientation and collaboration skills.
- Exhibit detail-orientation, with very good organizational skills and significant experience in advising clients.
- Identify and analyze legal issues in a fast-paced and rapidly changing world and business environment.
- Work with attorneys and compliance professionals, other practice areas as well as other internal partners in a collegial and coordinated fashion.
- Perform other duties as required.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- 4 -7 years relevant experience at a major law firm and/or in-house legal department, reflecting a record of accomplishment. Insurance and/or other financial services industry experience a plus.
- Juris doctor degree from an accredited law school.
- Bar admission required.
- Strong understanding of technology and working knowledge of privacy/data security and intellectual property law as they relate to vendor agreements.
- General vendor contracting background including in the areas such as cloud computing, software licensing, open source, outsourcing, telecommunications, market data, sponsorships, advertising and marketing.
- Good business acumen and familiarity with the market and regulatory landscape affecting IT vendor contracting.
- Influence and leadership skills, especially in the context of the ability to relate to different stakeholders, business partners and colleagues.
- Strong drafting, negotiating and analytical skills.
- Crisp, clear client communication skills; in particular, the ability to reduce legal issues to straightforward practical analysis and advice.
- Ability to handle complex transactions from start to finish with minimal supervision.
- Ability to balance competing demands, multiple deadline-sensitive matters, assessing business priorities.
- Follow through to ensure advice is acted upon, and that ethical, legal and business issues are raised to appropriate levels.
- Willingness to take on challenging assignments and become familiar with new areas of the law.
- Willingness to receive coaching and mentoring from management and/or more experienced team members.
Less than 5%
Number of Openings: