All companies + Hiring difference makers.
☰ Portfolio Accounting Supervisor New Nuveen 4 days ago Post Date Apply for Job Share this Job COMPANY OVERVIEW:
Nuveen, the investment manager of TIAA, offers a comprehensive range of outcome-focused investment solutions designed to secure the long-term financial goals of institutional and individual investors. Its affiliates offer deep expertise across a comprehensive range of traditional and alternative investments through a wide array of vehicles and customized strategies. POSITION SUMMARY:
Members of the Portfolio Accounting team within the Nuveen Middle Office department are responsible for the accurate and timely recordkeeping of investment portfolios managed by the Nuveen investment teams. They plan a critical role in mitigating operational risks of the firm. Through the reconciliation processes with the custodians and other internal controls, they ensure that all of the activity on the securities held within each portfolio is reflected in the recordkeeping system. As one of the Supervisors on the team, the incumbent is expected to provide oversight and guidance to the junior members of team, contribute to the development of team strategy, focus on mitigating operational risks and lead process improvement initiatives. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Manage a team of Portfolio Accountants (PAs)
QUALIFICATIONS: Required Skills:
- Develop communication plan with other AVPs to provide a unified approach across all teams
- Ensure quality of accounting data through the reconciliation process with the custodian banks
- Ensure start of day processes have executed smoothly and completely all necessary files received and processed (internal and external)
- Monitor the reconciliation system to ensure all accounts are included in processing
- Conduct end of day review to confirm that PAs have completed their work as expected and notified/escalated issues as per procedures
- Execute day-to-day recons as needed to support the team
- Identify and execute on opportunities for process improvement, develop standard processes and procedures and improve internal controls
- Assist in developing standard operating procedures used to train PAs
- Evaluate the effectiveness of existing internal controls; develop and implement best practices
- Ensure strong communication across Nuveen stakeholders and external custodian banks and vendors
- Develop strong working relationship with peers and key players within Investment Operations; i.e. work closely with upstream and downstream teams to build trust and influence without direct authority Projects and external relationship management
- Contribute to future state definition, use cases, requirements, user acceptance testing on upgrades and new system implementations
- Take the lead on special projects (e.g., fund mergers and account terminations)
- Manage application vendor and third party relationships
- Monitor multiple applications performance and functionality, and escalate issues with the vendors as needed Prepare and deliver timely and accurate reporting
- Handle recurring special month-end reporting requests
- Assess and monitor existing and future reporting requests to ensure responsibilities reside within the correct operational teams
- Apply best practice for accurate internal data distribution (e.g., preliminary vs. final notification as necessary, working closely with consumers of data to educate them about the accounting process, etc.)
- Team operational metrics for executive management reporting
- Solid understanding of various asset classes
- Demonstrated ability to analyze problems and to follow through to resolution
- Process design and improvement
- Proven record of taking ownership and working well without supervision
- Sound judgement in prioritizing own workload and the work of others
- Time management skills to succeed in an intense environment and under tight deadlines are critical
- Teamwork, collaboration and conflict resolution
- Ability to succeed in a multi-location environment, to collaborate and oversee staff virtually, to build virtual teams
- Understanding of operational and business risks
- Ability to communicate with senior level stakeholders
- Bachelors Degree with concentration in finance or accounting.
- 5 or more years of experience with Portfolio Accounting, Fund Administration, Reconciliation, and Financial Services.
- 10 years Investment management industry experience.
- 5 or more years in supervisory or oversight role
- 3 or more years of experience with Excel
- Experience with Electra Reconciliation.
- Advanced degree or relevant certification a plus
- Knowledge of common industry applications (Eagle STAR, PORTIA, Bloomberg , etc.) is desired
- Effective mediation skills to facilitate a constructive approach to dealing with conflict. Ability to address difficult issues and guide others toward the accomplishment of identified, meaningful goals
Equal Employment Opportunity is not just the law, its our commitment. Read more about the .
If you need assistance applying due to being visually or hearing impaired, please email .
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.
Previous Job Searches
Create and manage profiles for future opportunities.
Track your opportunities.
© TIAA Careers. All rights reserved. Explore all the opportunities we have to offer
Start your career with us
Help us deliver on our unique mission to serve those who serve others. We'll put your talents and skills to work immediately - no waiting.
We are TIAA. Created to serve. Built to perform. DIVERSITY
We're proud of our diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
Explore our career areas to see where you might fit best.
We have opportunities available across the United States and in India.
The overall health of our employees is important to us.
MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Meet some incredible people making a difference
To mark our 100th year, we're honoring Difference Makers by donating $1 million to the organizations they support. Thousands were nominated, and we want to share their inspiring stories with you. 2019 and prior years, Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America - College Retirement Equities Fund, New York, NY 10017
TIAA is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to fostering workforce diversity and inclusion.
Advisory services provided by Advise & Planning Services, a division of TIAA-CREF Individual & Institutional Services, LLC, a registered investment adviser.