- Charlotte, NC, USA Charlotte NC US
- Permanent, Full time
- Brighthouse Financial, Inc.
- 22 Sep 18 2018-09-22
Brighthouse Financial is a new company established by MetLife. We're on a mission to help people achieve financial security. Built on a foundation of industry knowledge and experience, we specialize in offering essential annuity and life insurance products designed to help customers protect what they've earned and ensure it lasts more predictably. In an industry that often has a reputation for complexity, confusion, and cost, Brighthouse Financial is different. Our approach includes simplicity, transparency, and more value so customers can face the future with confidence.
Brighthouse Financial is seeking passionate, high-performing team members to help us carry out our mission and be part of an exciting journey toward improving the financial futures of our millions of customers. Sound like you? Read on.
Role Value Proposition:
Reporting to the Manager, Core Finance under Controller Operations, this position will be responsible for the Annuity, Life, and Run-off segment financial statements for lower tier subsidiaries and consolidated results, handling both GAAP and STAT reporting. Performs tasks with high degree of accountability. Ability to think critically, interpret financial trends, and spot inconsistencies in business results to pursue solutions and explanations. Work towards developing insurance and reinsurance related business knowledge that enhances relative contribution to the organization. Professional accountability for quality of work product.
- Prepare GAAP and STAT journal entries. Investigate all variances in premiums, fees, other income, benefits, and interest credited income statement lines.
- Complete GAAP detailed income statement and balance sheet analysis to explain variances for product/segment earnings sign-off. Reconcile various balance sheet accounts.
- Reviews actual vs. projection results by product/segment for GAAP earnings sign-off and researches discrepancies, as needed.
- Review reinsurance treaty activity and settlement sheets for accuracy and reasonableness.
- Prepare GAAP analysis of income statement and balance sheet.
- Complete STAT detailed income statement and balance sheet analysis at the legal entity and consolidated levels to explain variances for earnings sign-off.
- Prepare quarterly financial metrics to aid in both internal and external management reporting.
- Handle ad hoc request as they arise and participate in special projects as needed.
- Provide documentation as needed to SOX, external auditors, and internal auditors.
- Responsible for the maintenance of complex general ledger entries and is responsible for the accuracy of financial statements and managerial reports according to GAAP and STAT Accounting Principles.
- Stays abreast of accounting procedures or new product accounting rules as changes arise.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- B.A./B.S. in Accounting/Finance or equivalent
- 2-5 years of experience in Accounting
- CPA, MBA, or CMA preferred
- Knowledge of US GAAP preferred
- Knowledge of insurance and reinsurance accounting and US STAT a plus
- Experience with SAP a plus
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills
- Ability to produce results and carry out initiatives independently
- Effective time management and prioritization
- Ability to work within tight time constraints and multiple priorities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, teamwork and collaboration
- Overtime is required during peak periods