Vice President Group Counsel, Insurance and Annuities
Ameriprise Financial seeks a Vice President & Group Counsel to provide leadership to its diverse team of attorneys and paralegals serving our $120B+ annuities, life and disability insurance business. Responsibilities include legal support for product, marketing, underwriting, claims, reinsurance and service operations; close partnership with finance and risk management, and oversight of certain aspects of subsidiary board governance. Responsibilities
• Senior counsel leading a team of attorneys and paralegals in development and marketing of variable and fixed insurance and annuity products, including advising in SEC matters of fund line-up and product registration; and counseling on state insurance law, the Internal Revenue Code and ERISA.
• Provide senior level counsel to product, marketing, distribution and service operations. Includes advising wholesale activities of our limited-purpose variable product broker-dealer.
• Provide senior level counsel to actuarial, underwriting, claims, reinsurance and risk transfer functions. Coordinates subsidiary corporate governance issues, state regulatory filings, and certain inter-company agreements. Required Qualifications
• JD required.
• 12+ years of legal experience working as in-house counsel, or in a law firm setting, with a focus on annuities, life and disability insurance legal issues.
• Strong business acumen for how annuity and life insurance products are designed and operationalized.
• Extensive knowledge and experience working with securities laws, FINRA and state regulations to provide creative solutions on product features, sales, promotions, advertising and suitability of variable and fixed products.
• Outstanding client-service focus and technical mastery to convey complex legal principles clearly and concisely in order to develop solutions and facilitate executive decision making.
• Strong team leadership skills, able to adjust to multiple demands in a fast-paced environment. Resilient, results-oriented, collaborative and trustworthy. Unquestioned integrity and professionalism.