Serve as a resource on software development projects and lead the development team through the design, development, documentation, testing, and modification of existing and new software applications, encouraging standard techniques, procedures, and criteria. Participate in architecture design, performance monitoring, product evaluation, and buy versus build decisions. Track and communicate development project status, dependencies, and risks and mitigation strategies to the project team and leadership. Provide technical expertise to the business. Responsibilities
- Implement and/or lead all aspects of the creation of low level design documents (including code samples/outlines) and detailed engineering specifications based on sophisticated business, user, and non-functional (e.g. performance, reliability, balance, and controls) requirements. Write code that adheres to standards, procedures, and techniques. Maintain integrity of existing program logic according to specifications. Complete deliverables using the Software Development Life-Cycle (SDLC).
- Partner with the business and project team to gather requirements and fully understand project goals, and then use this information to effectively plan and lead the development process. Participate in project design walk-throughs. Evaluate interrelationships between applications and design for effective interfaces between interrelated applications/systems. Appropriately address failure scenarios in design work. Proactively review then plan and execute corrective action in response to production support issues, as the need arises.
- Lead the code review process to ensure development work adheres to standards and specifications, which includes peer review, as well as code review external to development team. Write and/or revise system design documentation and operations documentation to include providing required input into operation support manuals and user guides. Create and properly archive all project related documentation.
- Ensure all code is optimally unit tested prior to being released to the quality assurance team. Resolve all unit test issues in a timely manner. Assist the quality assurance team in identifying test cases and in creating/mining test data to enable a thorough test of all development deliverables. Respond to all inquiries and issues in a timely manner as the developed code/program moves through the testing process and into production. Approve code to be put into production.
- Provide oversight, mentorship, and technical leadership to a development team, which consists of employees, contractors, and vendor partner resources, to ensure the timely execution of project deliverables. Provide governance oversight to ensure adherence to development strategy, standards, tools, and procedures. Guide the development teams to consistently apply appropriate development principles and standards during all phases of the development life-cycle.
- Conduct annual asset health and security assessment. Improve health of system assets by identifying enhancements to improve performance, reliability, and resource consumption. Track standards exceptions (e.g. security gaps) to ensure they are addressed in a planful and timely manner. Evaluate, troubleshoot, and lead root-cause analysis for production issues and system failures. Determine corrective action and improvements to prevent recurrence. Provide implementation/production support, as required.
- Maintain up-to-date skills in software development technologies and a broad understanding of the business, business needs, and how applications/assets drive and support the business (understand the greater impact of assets/applications and development work). Provide expertise in the selection and implementation of development tools and best practices, as well as recommendations on priority and asset investments. Establish and maintain productive working relationships with business partners and project teams.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelors degree or equivalent (4-years) in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field; or equivalent work experience.
- 7-10 years of relevant experience required.
- 7+ years of experience coding and/or designing in multiple programming languages, including focused experience in relevant/targeted software stack (specific required software stack will vary by position).
- 7+ years of practical experience and proven success with the design and build of complex software applications in multiple environments.
- Experience working with vendor partner (on- and off-shore) resources. complex software applications in multiple environments.
- Experience working with vendor partner (on- and off-shore) resources.
About Our Company
- 7-10 years of Design/Development in core java and Liferay platform, Rest API development, Spring Boot microservices, DevSecOps experience/knowledge required.
- Front end development and AWS knowledge is a plus.
- Shown success in the design of complex, best-in-class enterprise-level software applications.
- Superior analytical and business skills to reconcile conflicting objectives and find/design acceptable compromises within existing constraints.
- Superior technical communications skills.
- NOTE: The company does not offer L1 sponsorship for this opportunity.
The Ameriprise Financial Technology team mission is to create innovative technology solutions and engaging digital experiences for our clients, advisors, and employees. We embrace an inclusive and collaborative culture that allows us to partner across the business and lend our expertise in the areas of corporate computing, network infrastructure and security. We celebrate the unique qualities and reward the contributions of our talented, passionate employees. If you're motivated and want to work for a strong, ethical company that cares about you and your community, take the next step with Ameriprise Technology.
Ameriprise Financial is an equal opportunity employer. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, genetic information, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, gender identity, disability, veteran status, marital status, family status or any other basis prohibited by law.