Senior Payroll Tax Analyst
Own the processes to audit and balance all payroll-related activities and tax reporting to ensure compliance with Federal, State, and local tax jurisdictions across 12 legal entities and all 50 states. Serve as a subject matter expert for more complex payroll tax issues and lead the research and resolution of discrepancies and escalations in partnership with outside vendors. Maintain working knowledge of changes with legislation and impacts in taxation and reporting. Lead the responses to tax escalations and work payroll specialists and the call center. Responsible for reviewing employee tax data for accuracy. Responsibilities
- Independently balance payroll and tax reporting processes and resolve issues as appropriate. Lead the processing of tax payments that are outside of the vendor's responsibility. Ensure all balancing is done in compliance with SOX controls and serve as an escalation point for G&L account reconciliation issues. Partner with Finance to research open items and recommend corrections.
- Lead the auditing of employee data and the processes to correct tax set ups. Partner with the HR Systems team to determine appropriate actions when system issues impact taxation or employee records are incorrect. Manage State Tax Mobility processing by communicating directly with employees to ensure appropriate multi-state set-ups and contributing to the annual state mobility processing events. Provide direction to India-based Payroll Specialists on taxation issues and lead the implementation of process changes as needed to comply with payroll tax laws.
- Determine appropriate actions when legislative changes occur. Collaborate with third-party administrator (ADP) and jurisdictions when complex issues occur and require more in depth research to respond to notices of inconsistencies. Lead the processing of corrections to wage and tax information based on system audits and applicable tax rules.
- Play a key role in the annual payroll year-end process and other key projects impacting payroll. Provide guidance on how changes/updates need to be set up to ensure project or initiative is compliant with payroll and tax laws. May require additional research of laws and how to apply them.
- Remain current on industry changes and understand how Ameriprise plans, practices, and policies are impacted. Provide consulting to specific plan owners to ensure taxation and reporting requirements are understood and meet the requirements. Determine impacts and works with appropriate groups to update systems and processes as appropriate.
- Responsible for supporting the revised multi state taxation process, which includes gathering employee input, making system improvements, and reviewing tools used to analyze large sums of data. Oversee the employee travel tracking process and assist with employee reminders.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent.
- 3-5 years' relevant experience.
- Depth of knowledge in payroll tax laws, Federal, and multi-State.
- Experienced in completing federal, state, and local jurisdiction payroll tax reporting.
- Experienced in processing and handling a variety of payroll matters including equity awards, perquisite, payroll adjustments, etc..
- Demonstrated skills in research and troubleshooting.
- Ability to prioritize conflicting work to meet deadlines in a fast-changing environment.
- Previous experience in working with external payroll vendors.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years payroll tax experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Excel and Data analysis
- Prior experience with Workday.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP)
- Worked with a third party tax vendor relationship.