Senior Data Software Engineer
- Chevy Chase, MD, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Fort Management
- 17 Jan 19
FORT is a premier hedge fund in the managed futures space, providing alternative investment advisory services to institutional investors for over two decades. The firm develops and implements proprietary, fully automated, systematic trading strategies. The firm maintains offices located in Chevy Chase, MD and New York, NY and currently has over $5.5 billion in assets under management.
FORT is currently one of the top 20 managers by assets worldwide in the CTA/Managed Futures space according to CTA Intelligence, an industry publication. One of the firm’s strategies was recently awarded the “Managed Futures (CTA) Long Term Performance (5 years, over $1B) at the HFM US Hedge Funds Performance Awards 2017.
The position would be based out of our corporate office in Chevy Chase, MD. Professionals at FORT have a natural pathway to interact with other departments, allowing for cross-training and a substantial increase in their knowledge of both the firm and the hedge fund industry. At FORT, we encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, out-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, self-organization, diversity and inclusion.
FORT offers a flexible work environment, allowing employees to maintain a good work/life balance. Some of the benefits offered are:
- Attractive compensation and bonus plans
- Company funded SEP IRA contributions
- Generous vacation plan
- Flex work schedules
- Free snacks, beverages, and caffeine
- Direct access to Red Line metro service
The Senior Data Software Engineer is expected to lead all data related efforts within FORT. This includes building, maintaining and rearchitecting applications that support production trading and modelling systems. This would involve real time streaming data and distribution of EOD market data across all asset classes.
- Provide 24/5 production support for data related applications
- Provide visionary thought leadership to improve current data processes by analyzing and rearchitecting legacy software and processes
- Act as the steward and visionary thought leader to procure, normalize, maintain and expose data sets to support all current and future research efforts, including strategy and execution research
- Work with internal stakeholders (CTO, Trading, Portfolio Research and Analytics, Strategy Research, Software Development team) to understand, analyze, prioritize, plan and execute projects and tasks successfully
- Provide effective mentorship and management of team members to enable them to reach their full potential
- Execute full lifecycle application development plans to include – requirements gathering and analysis, documentation, software architecture and design, implementation, testing, deployment and production support
- Ability to respond quickly and efficiently to the changing needs of the organization as needs arise and change
- Ensure high quality software releases by leading and espousing FORT’s software development process
- Create and maintain software architectural documents for all data software applications.
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate and articulate ideas
Required Education & Experience:
- 8-10 years of experience in design and development, documentation and testing of applications
- BS/MS in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field
- Experience with C#, Java, C++, or other modern object oriented language
- Strong aptitude for design patterns, object oriented principals, complex algorithms and data structures
- Experience in developing multithreaded programs
- Experience with network programming, IP protocols and message buses
- T-SQL, SQL Server or relational database design and development
- Experience in building distributed systems
- Experience in full lifecycle software development and agile development
- Experience in building and supporting highly available, mission critical systematic equities/futures trading systems is desirable
- Experience with S&P Capital IQ Compustat database and Bloomberg API is a big plus.
This job description is not designed to cover or address all duties and responsibilities that may be required of an employee in this position and the duties and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
FORT is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes employees regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.