Life Sciences Venture Analyst
- Bethesda, MD, USA Bethesda MD US
- Permanent, Full time
- Northpond Ventures
- 23 Jun 18 2018-06-23
Northpond Ventures is a science-driven venture capital ﬁrm headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland, right next to the Bethesda metro stop (DC area). Our mission is to build a better tomorrow. We are seeking a motivated and dynamic Life Science Venture Analyst to join our team. Ideal candidate has a strong science background (B.S. in science or engineering), with relevant 2+ years commercial experience in corporate, startup, or venture environments Our investments are focused on life sciences, technology, and aﬃliated industries. We have $500 million committed capital and typically lead ﬁnancings and take board seats.
A small team (by design), we are looking for A/A+ players who want to make a strong contribution to scientiﬁc innovation and humanity. We are at the intersection of science, entrepreneurship, and innovation. Some of our team attributes include: excellence, teamwork, partnership, positivity/optimism, courage, and humility.
In addition to a belief in our above mission and team attributes, a B.S. in Science or Engineering, such as Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or Bioengineering from a leading academic program is a requirement for applicants. All applicants must also reside in the DC area or be willing to relocate.
Key aspects of the Life Sciences Venture Analyst role include:
- Database sourcing and management within key verticals such as Diagnostics, Life Sciences, Therapeutic Areas; and monitoring of key companies we are following/competitors in each field
- Strong financial modeling skills including Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow, which will be used to monitor existing and target investments
- Ability to conduct diligence calls with expert networks across the value chain and provide team with rigorous summary (requires strong note taking and writing synthesis abilities)
- Join more senior Investment staff as needed to conduct diligence, site visits, board observer, etc.
The key aspects of our investment process include:
- Origination: Includes attending key industry conferences and events to originate deals
- Sourcing: Source specific deals and interface with management/other key ecosystem players
- Integrated Scientific Diligence: Conduct technical scientific diligence on investment opportunities including diagnostics, life sciences, therapeutics areas
- Deal Execution: Ensure our key terms are met and solid deal execution
- Support: Business building and company support including quarterly board meetings
This role is located in Bethesda, MD (DC area), with travel 25-50% of time.
Ideal Candidate: (You must meet first 2 criteria to be considered as an applicant)
- B.S. in Science or Engineering, such as biochemistry, molecular biology or bioengineering from a leading academic program required for applicants.
- 2+ years relevant work experience (e.g., leading management consulting firm, investment bank, other business experience)
- Scientific understanding to help with leading edge diligence in areas of diagnostics, life sciences, therapeutics
- Team-oriented and ecosystem oriented
- Long-term oriented with a strong passion and pursuit of our mission
- A passion for business/business building/investing, with natural business instincts and judgment
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills
- Solid organizational skills with the ability to both prioritize and handle multiple priorities at once
- High degree of initiative, self-discipline, and motivation and the ability to work collaboratively and eﬀectively as part of a team
- Possesses a positive, can-do attitude and entrepreneurial spirit, and agility to meet the growing needs of our startup VC
If you wish to apply for this position, please e-mail your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please place the job title in the subject line of your email. We oﬀer competitive salaries and generous beneﬁts.