Associate - Operational Risk Framework and Scenario Analysis
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
The talent and passion of our people is critical to our continued success as a firm. Together, we share five core values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic:
1. Putting Clients First
2. Doing the Right Thing
3. Leading with Exceptional Ideas
4. Giving Back
5. Committing to Diversity and Inclusion
Morgan Stanley is committed to helping its employees build meaningful careers and we strive to be a place for people to learn, achieve and grow.
Firm Risk Management
Firm Risk Management (FRM) enables Morgan Stanley to achieve its business goals by partnering with business units across the Firm to realize efficient risk-adjusted returns, acting as a strategic advisor to the Board and protecting the Firm from exposure to losses as a result of credit, market, liquidity, operational, model and other risks.
Our mission is to serve as the follow roles:
• Independent agent to set consistent principles and disciplines for risk management
• Strategic advisor to Firm management for setting risk appetite and allocating capital
• Industry leader to influence and meet regulatory standards
You will collaborate with colleagues across FRM and the Firm to protect the Firm's capital base and franchise, advise businesses and clients on risk mitigating strategies, develop tools and methodologies to analyze and monitor risk, contribute to key regulatory initiatives and report on risk exposures and metrics to enable informed and strategic decision-making. Through thoughtful analysis and clear communication we are best able to bring our ideas to the table and improve the Firm.
Firm Risk Management values diversity and is committed to providing a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees.
Firm Risk Management's unique franchise promotes:
• Flat, flexible and integrated global organization
• Collaboration and teamwork
• Credible, independent decision-making
• Organizational influence
• Creative and practical solutions
• Meritocratic and diverse culture
The Morgan Stanley Baltimore office is a critical component of the Firm`s Global footprint and has 1,400 employees that provide support and services to the Investment Banking, Securities, Investment Management and Wealth Management Businesses.
Our office at Thames Street Wharf is located in the heart of Baltimore's Inner Harbor. Additionally, the Firm recently expanded downtown and occupies two floors at 100 South Charles in the new, up and coming neighborhood of Harbor Point, adjacent to historic Fells Point.
Operational Risk Management works with the business units and control groups to help ensure Morgan Stanley has a transparent, consistent and comprehensive program for managing operational risk, both within each area and across the firm globally. Operational risk is the risk of financial loss or other potential damage to the firm's reputation due to inadequate or failed internal processes, people, systems, or from external events. This group designs, implements and monitors the company-wide operational risk program.
Background on the Position
The Candidate will work within the Operational Risk Framework and Scenario Analysis Team. The candidate will interface with the firm's senior management, the firm's Operational Risk department, the operational risk first line of defense teams, cross-entity risk teams, Information Technology, Legal and Compliance, and others.
To be successful, the candidate should be self-motivated, flexible and highly adaptable, Candidates will benefit from relevant experience, a strong desire to learn, and the ability to work on a small specialized team. The applicant should have a minimum of five years of experience at a financial institution, consulting firm, or audit firm preferably in a risk management role. Prior risk management experience is a strong plus. Work history should demonstrate attention to detail and strong analytical and communication skills.
• Assist in execution of the Operational Risk Framework
• Assist in the implementation and execution of the second line Framework for risks related to data
• Analyze and monitor operational risk data sets to assess the Firm's risk profile and identify themes
• Support components of the Operational Risk Scenario Analysis Program
• Prepare pre and post Scenario Analysis documentation
• Create clear, concise and insightful materials in support of Senior Management reporting
• Create project metrics, dashboards, and reports to summarize status for various senior management committees
• Monitor industry developments in the management of operational risk
• Participate in and provide ongoing support for audit and regulatory reviews and inquiries Qualifications:
Skills Required (Essential)
• Understanding of Operational Risk
• Bachelor's degree required; economics, finance, business or another analytical discipline preferred. Master's degree is a plus.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and an ability to present ideas concisely and persuasively.
• Ability to work on challenging assignments in a dynamic environment, synthesize information, distill relevant facts and reach logical conclusions.
• Highly motivated self-starter with multi-tasking abilities, and the ability to meet tight deadlines with conflicting agendas.
• Flexibility - willingness to work on associated initiatives to deliver the Operational Risk framework