The Assistant Controller will report to the Director, Financial Reporting & Tax and work with the accounting team. The Assistant Controller will ensure the accuracy, consistency, and timelines of the tax and financial reporting as well as accounting functions while providing information and assistance to the Controller and CFO. This position will oversee the day-to-day operations of the accounting department and staff. The Assistant Controller will also act as a change agent and play a key role in driving organizational efficiencies through automation and continuous process improvement, including new system implementations. The Assistant Controller needs to work cross-functionally and provide information to business leaders and managers to drive business decisions that accomplish overall business goals and objectives. [Note: First Aid Beauty is currently working remotely during the Covid-19 pandemic, but this position will be based in our Newton, MA, headquarters once we return to the office.]
- Oversee short and long-term financial and managerial reporting.
- Oversee daily operational tax and accounting duties and staff including:
- Maintaining the general ledger in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) as well as internal and regulatory policies and procedures.
- Manage and ensure accurate inventory, including monthly reconciliations and cycle count oversight
- Manage and review the monthly close process within company deadlines.
- Review US indirect tax filings by outside service providers as well as prepare CAN GST and UK VAT tax returns.
- Assist with preparation of audit schedules for internal auditors and the submission of reports for regulatory reporting purposes.
- Review and implement process improvements to the general accounting daily operational workflows to improve operational efficiencies and the close process.
- Participate in various accounting initiatives including new system implementations and enhancements.
- Develop company internal control policies and ensure ongoing compliance.
- Develop accounting control assessment procedures to ensure compliance with our accounting policies.
- Be versatile and knowledgeable in tax matters, insurance, and employee benefits affecting the Company.
- Provide direct reports with proper tools and authority to execute their assigned functions.
- Develops skills of staff through goal setting, coaching, problem resolution, delegation, training, counseling, and performance management.
- Bachelor's or Master’s Degree in Accounting with 7+ years of experience (preferably a mix of public and corporate accounting)
- Strong technical accounting knowledge of SALT, cost accounting and inventory.
- Thorough knowledge of and experience with monthly close process.
- Experience working in a lean principles and agile processes environment.
- Have strong communication skills with the ability to interact and interface with all levels of management (both written and verbal) and manage a system implementation.
- Strong leader with a proven track record in management who leads by example and hits delivery dates on or ahead of schedule.
- Willing to roll up your sleeves to get the job done.
- NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization