Lead Developer, Investment Data
- Marlborough, MA, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Wellington Management Company, LLP
- 16 Jan 18 2018-01-16
Lead Developer, Investment Data
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 50 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
As a member of the Client Applications team, this individual will be responsible for leading the technical design and implementation of firm's Client Data Platform. This role requires a well-rounded technologist that can work with stakeholders to build consensus on vision/needs, translate those into business data models, and then materially lead high-visibility, data centric projects through technical design, construction, testing and implementation.
This multi-faceted role offers the individual the opportunity to have tremendous impact on a number of multi-channel, client reporting and data delivery initiatives. This includes conventional reporting, interactive reporting/analytics, data centric websites and client data APIs. It requires a well-rounded technologist that understands data architecture, (conventional/emerging) data technologies, and service based architectures. Additionally, a successful candidate must be hands on and able to lead a diverse team of engineers through all phases of the IT lifecycle.
Responsibilities of the individual are multi-dimensional and include the management of business stakeholders, vision, delivery, staff and technology.
- Working with stakeholders to turn challenges and ideas into solutions
- Translating complex business requirements into abstract high level (system/data) models
- Concurrently leading multiple data-centric outcomes through the Development Lifecycle
- Directing a dynamic team of experienced engineers (on/off-site)
- Personally author system designs along with direct implementation of supporting proofs
- Ensure quality by conducting technical reviews of designs and source code from team members
- Responsible for ensuring end to end stability of all online client data marts and data services
- Partner with Client IT contacts to best integrate Wellington data directly within our client's system
- Leverage the strength and success of the current team to implement and sustain a "best in class" platform for our Client Data Mart and Data Services. Ensure that it is strategic, reliable, efficient to support, and remains a team that top tier talent wants to be part of
- Facilitate identification of needs broadly shared across business units. Demonstrate the ability to clearly highlight potential high value add opportunities
- Assist business governance structures in prioritizing these needs by providing cost-benefit insights.
- Strengthen bench of individuals who combine strong investment and technology expertise. Facilitate the group's ability to remain current with industry trends
- Establish a framework for leveraging the expertise and resources of external partners (partner investment firms, professional service / product / market data vendors)
- Identify high potential individuals and focus effort on developing them through training and stretch assignments
- Refine estimation, planning, development / integration, testing and deployment processes
This role requires strong skills in the areas of investment process expertise, client management, strategy development, technology, and staff development.
- Ten years of experience in delivering technology solutions, at least five of those in the Asset Management industry
- Strong understanding of investment data and client reporting
- Expert in designing and implementing enterprise scale datamarts
- Proven track record in defining and developing robust Service Oriented Architectures
- Very strong understanding of Amazon Cloud Technologies and Software-As-A Service Integrations (Aurora, SQS, Dynamo, Elasticsearch, S3, EC2, Lambda, etc…)
- Expert knowledge of SQL, PL/SQL, and data modeling
- Solid experience in Oracle Database Technologies and AWS Aurora/MySQL
- Working experience in Big Data platforms such as Spark or Hive preferably in a cloud setup.
- Ability to build data centric solutions using Java stack. Should have experience in Java development.
- Solid Experience with Spring MVC and Spring Boot
- Hands on current or past experience in at least one ETL tool (Datastage, Talend etc.)
- Experience in Elasticsearch, DynamoDB and S3 based data solutions using unstructured data (JSON)
- Experience in database query tuning and system performance optimizations
- Expert in implementing service based data providers with detailed understanding about versioning and data security
- Familiarity with modern java script frameworks like Angular & React
- Expertise in establishing and maintaining an Agile Delivery Model
- Strong fundamental planning and project management skills
- Broad understanding of current technologies with ability to review merits of proposed architectures and validity of effort estimates
- Ability to think, communicate and act strategically. Ability to back up strategic thinking with reliable delivery
- Strong leadership and change management capabilities
- Experience with global delivery and support
- Keen intellect, strong communication skills and collaborative instincts
- Strong judgment and integrity
- Innovative, resourceful and risk tolerant
- Experience analyzing and resolving system issues related to performance and scalability
Lead Developer, Investment Data
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management considers all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at Wellington@icareerhelp.com .