Azure Database Engineer
Contribute to the development and certification of Azure DB and Managed Instance of Charles River Investment Management Solution. Contribute to the enhancement and maintenance of the Charles River IMS schema and database infrastructure as a technical leader on the DBA team. Experience in development of Azure Data Storage solutions as well as classic RDBMS development with Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle is desired. Experience with performance optimization of database solutions and strong knowledge of database development and tuning concepts and tools is required. Familiarity with object oriented programming language such as C#/Java for application development is a big plus. Provide engineering troubleshooting assistance to customer support teams and other development teams within Charles River. Responsibilities:
- Work independently to analyze, design, develop, test, and debug large and complex software enhancements and solutions within Charles River's business and technical problem domains including modifications to core frameworks and other primary facilities critical to system operation
- Design, prototype, and implement migration of existing on premise database solutions to Azure cloud.
- Collaborate with peers across scrum teams to design and deliver features conforming to RDBMS best practices generally and RDBMS vendor implementations specifically
- Provide thought leadership on the topic of database technologies and data modeling within and beyond the team's scope of responsibility
- Design, implement and maintain RDBMS infrastructure for the support of all teams within the R&D group.
- Design, implement (or acquire) and maintain tooling used by CRD's R&D group and customers to maintain the Charles River IMS schema.
- Lead efforts focused on analysis and tuning of RDBMS performance
- Develop, test, debug, and implement software programs, applications and projects using Transact-SQL, PL/SQL, SQL, and C# or other related software engineering languages as well as keeping abreast of emerging technologies impactful to CRDs business
- Write unit and automation tests to ensure a high quality end product
- Conduct manual tests to ensure a high quality end product
- Provide expert level troubleshooting on large, mission critical client implementations
- Be available outside of normal office hours to troubleshoot and resolve critical RDMBS issues for customers and the CRD R&D team
- Actively assist team leaders in the agile software development process by adhering to and advancing the CRD scrum methodology including attending all daily standups, sprint planning, backlog grooming, and retrospectives
- Plan and coordinate cross-team activities groups to complete assignments
- Manage large DBA projects, plan schedules, meet deadlines
- Provide expert guidance and critical analysis of proposed changes during code reviews
- Advise senior management on technical strategy
- Provide mentoring to technical staff of all levels
- B.S. degree (or foreign education equivalent) in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, and Physics or other technical course of study required. MS degree strongly preferred.
- A minimum of 15 years of progressively responsible professional software engineering experience with enterprise applications backed with relational databases
- A minimum of 3 years of experience on Azure DB and/or Managed Instance
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in financial services developing solutions for Portfolio Management, Trading, Compliance, Post-Trade, IBOR or Wealth Management is strongly desired
- A minimum of 10 years of experience developing solutions within the Charles River software development team
- Authoritative experience with relational databases (RDBMS), hardware sizing and configuration, operating systems, scripting and new/advanced database technologies
- Demonstrated problem solving abilities involving multi-tiered, high-performance database applications
- Able to design and develop software solutions to business and technical problems of high complexity
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Able to work constructively with peers in a collaborative team environment
- A minimum of 5 years working with an Agile development methodology