Venture Associate, Private Investing, Biotechnology
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
We are transitioning to a hybrid work environment where both remote work and the office play a critical role. Our vision is a future where all employees are empowered to work flexibly to drive the best outcomes for our clients. Flexible work is a mindset and a core value. Our employees are encouraged to work remotely two days a week as a standard practice and will have flexibility in terms of working hours. POSITION
As part of the continued expansion of our Private Investing capabilities, we are seeking to recruit a Venture Associate ("Associate") to join our Biomedical Innovation Fund (BIF) team focused on investing in private biotechnology companies. Wellington has managed dedicated public-equity healthcare portfolios since 1984 and is the largest manager of such assets worldwide. In addition, the firm has been investing in private markets since 2003 (in private biotech companies since 2011), and the Firm launched its first dedicated private capital fund in 2014. Today, the privates team currently manages approximately $5 billion in assets across four later-stage, growth equity funds and is the fastest growing investment group within Wellington.
The Associate will partner with senior members of the BIF team to source and diligence private biotechnology investment opportunities. In order to optimize deal flow, the Associate will develop broad relationships within the biomedical venture capital and crossover investor communities. The Associate will source, track, and evaluate potential biotechnology investments, conduct in-depth due diligence on both the scientific and business merits of select deals, and develop investment recommendations. In addition, the Associate will curate the deal flow, from initial contact through exit, and will assist with investment and strategic decision making. ESSENTIAL SKILLS
The following essential skills are required for the role:
- Scientific and clinical data acumen-The ideal candidate will have superior analytical capabilities for scientific and clinical data and an eagerness to apply their expertise in support of BIF. The ability to synthesize disparate information, identify the most important elements, and arrive at a conclusion is required. The Associate will be curious about private investing and science and demonstrate a strong desire to identify differentiated investment opportunities through a thorough due diligence process.
- Superior collaboration and influencing skills - The Associate will be a self-directed, hard-working team player, who contributes to the investment efforts of the BIF Investing team. The successful candidate will enjoy contributing to a highly collaborative investment environment and will build strong trusting relationships internally with colleagues across the Private Investing and Investment Research teams as well as externally with potential portfolio companies and co-investors. The ability to communicate (both verbally and in writing) and contribute to an open investment dialogue is required.
- Growth mindset - The flexibility and openness to continue learning, evolving, and growing as an Associate is important. The Associate will have a global perspective and creative approach for analyzing private biotechnology companies. Success in this role will open progression opportunities within BIF and broader Wellington.
- Passion - The Associate will have a strong interest and passion for science, drug development and the emerging technologies in the biotechnology industry.
Responsibilities for this position will include the following:
- Assisting with outbound market research and company mapping activities;
- Performing due diligence on prospective portfolio companies;
- Building and maintaining company financial models and other analysis on current and prospective investments;
- Drafting investment memos and participating in investment committee discussions;
- Attending target company management meetings and relevant industry conferences;
- Assisting with quarterly and annual reporting needs for Limited Partners;
- Building and managing internal databases including investment pipelines and investment partners; and
- Completing complex analytical projects under tight time constraints.
Additional qualifications and other characteristics include:
SKILLS JOB TITLE
- A minimum of 2-3 years of relevant experience in clinical medicine, biomedical research, investment banking, private equity, and/or venture capital investing;
- Superior academic credentials and track record: an MD or PhD in a biomedical discipline is strongly preferred. An MBA is desirable.
- Ability to organize, manage, and prioritize time well;
- Superior financial modeling skills, confidence to build financial model from scratch and identify the correct drivers;
- Market mapping and desktop research experiences in previous professional role;
- Ability to work independently and make decisions in the face of uncertainty;
- Demonstrated analytical, problem solving ability;
- Sound judgment, strong work ethic and highest personal and professional integrity;
- Interest and ability to build network in start-up ecosystem including entrepreneurs, adjacent funds, accelerators, etc.;
- A high degree of intellectual curiosity; and
- Strict attention to detail.
Venture Associate, Private Investing, Biotechnology LOCATION
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .