Sovereign Strategist, Emerging Markets Debt
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients. POSITION
We are currently seeking to recruit a Sovereign Strategist to join our Emerging Markets Debt (EMD) team. Located in Boston or London, this individual will be primarily responsible for focusing on sovereign debt issuers, and for analyzing selected emerging markets. This role includes macro analysis and forecasting, assessing political developments and governance trends and assessments of debt sustainability and local market drivers. While specific country/region coverage will be determined as part of the interview process, coverage is likely to include some issuers in Latin America. As an active member of the EMD team, the Sovereign Strategist will be fully integrated into the investment process and will be expected to provide investment recommendations on both external and local debt, while also communicating (in writing and verbally) with a broader group of fixed income and equity investment professionals across the firm. Consistent with the countries in the emerging markets universe, coverage will include both investment grade and below investment grade issuers.
The following essential skills are required for the role:
- Investment acumen and passion - The Sovereign Strategist will have an understanding of emerging market economies, a strong interest in making investment recommendations and communicating those to Portfolio Managers globally, who manage long-only and hedge fund portfolios on behalf of our clients. The ideal candidate must exhibit a fundamental, research-oriented approach, with a focus on detail.
- Superior collaboration skills - The successful candidate will enjoy being an individual contributor within a highly collaborative team and embrace the benefits of overlapping lines of idea generation. The Sovereign Strategist will build strong trusting relationships internally with colleagues. The ability to take risk and challenge investment views is critical, as is the humility to admit mistakes and a desire to learn from others; the Strategist must recognize the benefits of diverse perspectives. The ability to communicate (both verbally and in writing) action-oriented opinions clearly and with conviction and contribute to an open investment dialogue is important.
- Growth mindset - The flexibility and openness to continue learning, evolving and growing as an investor is required. The successful candidate will have a global perspective and creative approach for thinking about innovation and the next generation of the investment industry and evolution of emerging markets.
A successful candidate should have the following qualifications:
SKILLS JOB TITLE
- Strong academic background, including a PhD or advanced degree in Economics or International Finance;
- Minimum of two years relevant Emerging Markets research experience;
- Experience working within the Investment Management industry is ideal, although applicants from the Sell side will also be considered. Experience working for a multilateral agency or international financial institution (e.g., the IMF, World Bank, central bank) would be viewed favorably;
- Demonstrated ability to employ quantitative modeling and research skills to assist in economic and market analysis;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work well in a small, collaborative team, while also communicating and interacting with a broader group of investment professionals;
- Fluency in Spanish; and
- Ability and willingness to travel.
Sovereign Strategist, Emerging Markets Debt LOCATION
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .