Senior Systems Engineer
- Boston, MA, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- 15 Oct 18
About Man Group
Man Group is a global active investment management firm, which runs $113.7bn* of client capital in liquid and private markets, managed by investment specialists based around the world. Headquartered in London, the firm has 15 international offices and operates across multiple jurisdictions. Our business has five specialist investment engines, which represent the range of our capabilities: Man AHL, Man Numeric, Man GLG, Man FRM and Man GPM.
These engines house numerous investment teams, working collaboratively within the framework of Man Group, with a high degree of investment autonomy. Each team benefits from the strength and resources of the firm's single operating platform, enabling their primary focus to be seeking to generate alpha for clients. The teams invest across a diverse range of strategies and asset classes with highly specialized approaches, with long only and alternative strategies run on a discretionary and quantitative basis in single and multi-manager formats. Our clients are at the heart of everything we do and we engage in close dialogue with our investors as strategic partners, to understand their particular needs and constraints. Man Group's investment teams are empowered and supported by our institutional infrastructure and technology, which aims to facilitate the efficient exposure to markets and effective collaboration across the organization.
Through the Man Charitable Trust and sponsorship of the Man Booker Prizes, Man Group is committed to promoting literacy and numeracy on a global scale, and to supporting charitable causes more broadly.
Man Group plc is listed on the London Stock Exchange under the ticker EMG.LN and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index. Further information can be found at www.man.com.
*As at 30 June 2018. All investment management and advisory services are offered through the investment "engines" of Man AHL, Man Numeric, Man GLG, Man FRM and Man Global Private Markets (GPM).
Purpose of the role
The Senior Systems Engineer's role is to ensure the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of Man Groups in-house US information systems that support core organizational functions of the business. The Senior Systems Engineer will apply proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to help identify, communicate, and resolve issues in order to maximize the benefit of IT systems investments. This individual will also mentor and provide guidance to junior staff.
- Responsible for managing and maintaining storage, virtualized environment, servers and network devices in all Man US offices and data centers
- Configuring, deploying, maintaining and troubleshooting both hardware and software in a mixed Linux and Windows environment
- Manage, create and configure enterprise storage infrastructure and backup processes and systems.
- Manage Microsoft SQL infrastructure, including maintaining high availability/Always On configurations, storage availability, backups, permissions and database uploads/creation.
- Collaborate with network staff to ensure smooth and reliable operation of software and systems for fulfilling business objectives and processes
- Monitor, resolve and identify infrastructure performance related issues proactively
- Maintain the necessary project plans and documentation of all system builds/modifications, rack diagrams and runbooks for US offices and data centers
- Participate in system and infrastructure audits and the company's disaster recovery and business continuity planning and execution
- Ability to work independently and lead strategic and complex projects
- Maintain relationships with service providers and vendors involved in supporting infrastructure related services and hardware
- Assisting with management of all server, storage and network hardware inventory and maintenance contracts.
- Logging and categorization of incidents and requests in an ITIL based call management system (Service-Now)
- Expected to keep up knowledge of current infrastructure and future trends
- Bachelor Degree required
- Minimum of 5 years of experience supporting, maintaining and configuring server, storage, backups and VMware in a mixed Windows and Linux environment in a datacenter environment
- Minimum of 2 years of experience managing Microsoft SQL infrastructure, including maintaining high availability/Always On configurations, storage availability, SQL backups, permissions, database creation and uploads
- Solid PowerShell scripting skills. Experience with other scripting languages a plus
- Strong knowledge of enterprise network technologies and troubleshooting network layer issues
- Experience managing, creating and configuring, enterprise storage infrastructure and backup processes and systems. Experience with NetApp a plus
- Experience with performance monitoring tools (Nagios a plus) and managing Active Directory and DNS in an enterprise environment
- Experience working in a cloud environment. Azure a plus
- Experience in (ITIL) and ITSM methodology and in a financial services or banking industry a plus.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with technical and non-technical staff
- Able to maintain composure in high-pressure situations
- Occasional travel within US required
Excellent Client Service (Internal & External): Speaks the client language. Understands the client. Shows empathy with the client. Shows personal responsibility and is accountable. Manages the client's expectations. Exceeds client's expectations.
Delivers Professional & Ethical Standards: Applies Man Group ethics and values. Demonstrates a positive attitude. Globally oriented. Business aware. Seeks to continuously enhance own relevant skills. Works comfortably in an entrepreneurial environment. Ensures compliance.
Effective Team Working: Valued and sought after as a team member. Recognizes others