Senior Software Engineer
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
We are transitioning to a hybrid work environment where both remote work and the office play a critical role. Our vision is a future where all employees are empowered to work flexibly to drive the best outcomes for our clients. Flexible work is a mindset and a core value. Our employees are encouraged to work remotely two days a week as a standard practice and will have flexibility in terms of working hours. POSITION
Tracing our roots to 1928, we are one of the world's largest independent investment management firms. With over US$1 trillion in assets under management, we serve as a trusted adviser to institutional clients and mutual fund sponsors in over 50 countries. Our innovative investment solutions are built on the strength of proprietary, independent research and span nearly all segments of the global capital markets, including equity, fixed income, multi-asset, and alternative strategies. As a private partnership whose sole business is investment management, our long-term views and interests are aligned with those of our clients. We are committed to attracting a talented and diverse workforce, and to fostering an open, collaborative culture of inclusivity because we believe multiple perspectives lead to more informed investment and business decisions.
At Wellington Management our appetite for technology is insatiable. We recognize that the world is full of fascinating questions that will impact the future of companies, economies, financial markets, and entire industries. We want you to help us find answers to these questions by building and evolving our innovative, industry leading, technology platform. We are seeking qualified candidates to join our evolving and expanding technology team. Together, you will not only dream up solutions to today's investment challenges, but you will build them in order to see real-life results. Technology needs are advancing, and this level of complexity requires a highly sophisticated well-managed technology platform that is built by people like you. This is your chance to build something incredible. We are focused solely on creating the best-in-breed tools used by our investors to conduct research and build portfolios. We build a seamless and cohesive platform across all asset classes. We want you to think big, to solve challenges, and work with our investors.
The Portfolio Implementation IT team is responsible for providing the technology platform and support for portfolio implementing systems to assist Portfolio Implementation team within InvesTech. We are seeking an experienced software developer with a background in financial service to join the Portfolio Construction Technology team.
You will have a solid background in application development, release management and infrastructure/environment, ideally within cloud-based architectures. You will be part of a dynamic team that requires a keen and diligent eye for analysis, application development and successful delivery within a DevOps model. You will help identify areas of improvement and be a driver of change, including pioneering high quality system architecture and offering solutions that will improve the user experience for our global investment team, while learning and adhering to existing architecture and development best practices, such as Infrastructure as Code (IaC), automated deployment, security, resiliency, and branching/PR/merging.
Critical to this position are the following: hands-on experience and approach to work; ability to work in a fast-paced environment; flex across multiple tracks of work if needed; taking an interest, being proactive and participating in broader team meetings and offering both tactical and strategic solutions; excellent communication skills; creative problem-solving; delivering solutions to end-users in a timely manner.
As a member of the Portfolio Implementation Team, this individual will be responsible for enhancing our suite of applications. The individual will participate in development activities to successfully enhance existing applications, and work with colleagues to develop and implement new solutions to meet business outcomes. These efforts help build mission-critical applications based on Java, ReactJS, AWS, Oracle and Python.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Enhance existing applications to meet the need of our global investment team
• Build new applications where appropriate, utilizing existing frameworks and building with a strategic mindset
• Work closely with business analysts and establish rapport with broader IT team
• Adopt new technologies as needed, including self-training
• Work with the QA team to devise or improve test plans
• Provide guidance and code reviews for offshore teams
• Advocate technology best practices
Bachelor's degree in an Engineering discipline or a related field plus five (5) years of experience as a software developer supporting complex applications through the development lifecycle.
Additional requirements include:
• Experience in developing complex applications using java 8+, while having a strong command of core Java concepts
• Experience with SQL and RDBMS technologies.
• Strong expertise in AWS services like S3, EC2, cloudformation
• Demonstrated understanding of modern software development and test methodologies including experience on GIT and Jenkins CI.
• CLI skills in Linux, Windows
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
• Willingness to work both collaboratively and independently based on the task, in a business-critical environment exhibiting resourcefulness and dependability with a delivery mindset
• Experience in Financial Industry is a plus
• Experience in typescript, Python technologies is a plus
Keys to the Position:
• Java 8+ experience
• Linux and AWS experience
• DevOps operating model mindset
• Delivery focused
• Self-starter, curious, solid communication with both IT and non-IT teams
• Care deeply about improving production stability, reducing technical debt
• Background in finance services / capital markets SKILLS JOB TITLE
Senior Software Engineer LOCATION
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .