Risk Manager, Fixed Income
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients. POSITION
The Risk Manager, Fixed Income (Risk Manager) position is part of the Global Risk & Analytics (GRA) team. GRA is the global investment risk function for Wellington and sits within the firm's Investment Science (iSci) department alongside these other key functions: Execution Research Analytics (XRA), Quantitative Investment Group (QIG), and Investment Data Science (IDS). The primary focus of GRA is leading Wellington Management's portfolio oversight, risk measurement, and security analytics processes across our broad multi-asset, hedge fund, equity, fixed income and research strategies. The Risk Manager will work with our fixed income investment teams across the Americas, Europe and Asia, helping them use quantitative tools to inform their portfolio construction and investment processes.
The Risk Manager, Fixed Income will engage closely with individual portfolio teams to understand their investment processes and the investment risks inherent to those processes. A successful Risk Manager will leverage Wellington's risk modeling and analysis platform to enhance the risk-taking and portfolio construction efforts of the PM teams. S/he will also continually work to enhance the risk platform itself, to better meet the evolving needs of investors. The Risk Manager will create or enhance clear, engaging reporting that emphasizes material portfolio risk sources from a variety of different angles, while ensuring that reporting is both accurate and relevant to the portfolio processes covered. Active engagement with investors to ensure that 'best practice/best in class' tools are available and adopted by the investment teams is paramount. Similarly, rapid response times and quick turnarounds commensurate to the dynamic demands of the investors are important. The Risk Manager should be sufficiently confident in their analyses to challenge the thinking of investment teams and present areas of concern or focus to additional Wellington stakeholders for further review.
The Risk Manager role requires a strong knowledge of fixed income risk analysis gained from meaningful experience in institutional investment management and risk management. S/he should be continually apprised of investment trends, determine the risk implications beyond the individual portfolio level, and communicate the resulting risks across various investment platforms. The successful candidate will bring technical skill and knowledge, be adept at building collaborative working relationships with investment professionals, and create a shared vision of the benefits of more risk-aware decision making RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities for this position will include the following:
• Engage with risk takers on a daily basis, to help them understand their positioning and risks, ensuring that risks match conviction levels;
• Work closely with risk takers to challenge and help them identify opportunities for improvement on their investment philosophies and processes;
• Engage the team with market and portfolio risk insights, and participate actively in the daily Risk Meetings and dialogue on investment ideas;
• Engage in the broader risk management activities of the firm, for example, developing a common risk platform across fixed income, and evaluating new risk taker candidates.
• Play an integral role in the design and structure of new fixed income investment strategies;
• Represent GRA and fixed income investment teams, as appropriate, with key clients and consultants. QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate will have a solid analytical foundation coupled with an analytical curiosity, strong organizational skills, passion for financial markets, be motivated by a team environment, and have the ability to learn about new analytical applications and investment products. He/she will have experience working with technology resources on implementation, particularly when combining risk concepts with data analysis. Demonstrated capability to work independently with primary data in mathematical packages is key, with experience in SQL and Python preferred (although other tools such as R or MatLab are also acceptable). Specific skills with risk models and/or data visualization tools are considered a plus.
Additional key qualifications include:
• 7+ years' experience in risk management within long/only and long/short fixed income portfolios. This may have been gained on the Buy-side, the Sell-side or Consultancy;
• Proven ability to partner with investment talent effectively;
• Demonstrable fixed income derivatives knowledge;
• Previous experience as a risk taker would be advantageous.
• Experience in long/short investing including structured products and derivatives would be considered a plus.
• Strong academic credentials: post-graduate degree and/or FRM/CFA/CAIA preferred. LOCATION
The Risk Manager, Fixed Income will be based in Wellington's Global Headquarters in Boston, MA. SKILLS JOB TITLE
Risk Manager, Fixed Income LOCATION
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .