Risk Manager, Equity
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
We are transitioning to a hybrid work environment where both remote work and the office play a critical role. Our vision is a future where all employees are empowered to work flexibly to drive the best outcomes for our clients. Flexible work is a mindset and a core value. Our employees are encouraged to work remotely two days a week as a standard practice and will have flexibility in terms of working hours. POSITION
The Risk Manager, Equity (Risk Manager) position is part of the Global Risk & Analytics (GRA) team. GRA is the global investment risk function for Wellington and sits within the firm's Investment Science (iSci) department alongside these other key functions: Execution Research Analytics (XRA), Quantitative Investment Group (QIG), and Investment Data Science (IDS). In addition to investment risk oversight, GRA leads Wellington Management's risk modelling and security analytics processes across our broad multi-asset, hedge fund, equity, fixed income and research strategies.
This is a senior role within the equity risk team and reports to the head of Equity Risk. The Risk Manager will be the primary relationship owner between GRA and Global Industry Analysts in Investment Research. The successful candidate will be responsible for risk oversight (monitoring the appropriateness of risk levels and exposures across the Research portfolios) and helping investors use quantitative tools to inform their portfolio construction and investment processes. The Risk Manager should be sufficiently confident in their analyses to challenge the thinking of investment teams and present areas of concern or focus to additional Wellington stakeholders for further review.
The Risk Manager will engage closely with investors to understand their investment processes and the investment risks inherent to those processes. An important part of the role's active engagement with investors includes helping them adopt best practices in the use of quantitative perspectives in portfolio management and helping the teams use technological tools directly, rather than relying upon risk managers to produce reports.
A successful Risk Manager will leverage Wellington's risk modeling and analysis platform to enhance the risk-taking and portfolio construction efforts of the investment teams. S/he will also continually work to enhance the risk platform itself, to better meet the evolving needs of investors. The Risk Manager will create or enhance clear, engaging reports that identify material portfolio risks. This is a hands-on role in terms of technical work, research, and working with data; the team performs much of its work in the firm's curated Python environment which incorporates a highly developed set of API's for risk analysis.
The Risk Manager role requires a strong knowledge of equity risk analysis gained from meaningful experience in institutional investment management and risk management. S/he should be continually apprised of investment trends, determine the risk implications beyond the individual portfolio level, and communicate the resulting risks across various investment platforms. The successful candidate will bring technical skill and knowledge, be adept at building collaborative working relationships with investment professionals and all levels of management to create a shared vision of the benefits of more risk-aware decision making. RESPONSIBILITIES
- Foster a culture of risk awareness by helping equity portfolio management teams use formal quantitative risk techniques to inform their portfolio construction and risk management processes.
- Engage with risk takers regularly, to help them understand their positioning and risks, ensuring that risks match conviction levels.
- Provide the teams with market and portfolio risk insights.
- Work closely with line management and other risk oversight committees on the evaluation of investment talent.
- Engage with risk takers to challenge and help them identify opportunities for improvement on their investment philosophies and processes.
- Identify, research, and highlight significant investment trends and major risks across our equity investment platform.
- Represent the Wellington investment risk function, as appropriate, with key clients and consultants.
The ideal candidate will have a solid analytical foundation coupled with an analytical curiosity, strong organizational skills, passion for financial markets, be motivated by a team environment, and have the ability to learn about new analytical applications and investment products. He/she will have experience working with technology resources on implementation, particularly when combining risk concepts with data analysis. Demonstrated capability to work independently with primary data in mathematical packages is key, with experience in SQL and Python preferred (although other tools such as R or MatLab are also acceptable). Specific skills with risk models and/or data visualization tools are considered a plus.
- 7+ years of experience in equity portfolio analysis, data analysis, risk management, and/or risk systems
- Proven ability to partner with investment talent effectively
- Deep understanding of portfolio construction, risk analytics, and equity investments
- Experience with Factset, BARRA, RiskMetrics, other databases and/or data visualization tools considered a plus.
- Technical ability to manipulate data for decision-making purposes, and a solid understanding of technology including database structures preferred.
- Strong written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong academic track record; accounting, economics, mathematics or finance major preferred. While not an absolute requirement, the successful candidate will likely hold a post-graduate degree and/or CFA/CAIA/FRM.
Please note that we are only able to respond to successful applicants. LOCATION
The Risk Manager, Equity will be based in Wellington's Boston, MA or London, UK office. SKILLS JOB TITLE
Risk Manager, Equity LOCATION
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .