Regulatory Specialist- Stewardship & Sustainability
Whether you're an investment professional, an expert in sales or a technology specialist, you'll find a culture at MFS that supports you in doing what you do best. Our employees work together to reach better outcomes, always favoring the strongest idea over the strongest individual. We put people first and show care and compassion for our community and each other. Because what we do matters - to us as valued professionals and to the millions of people and institutions who rely on us to help them build more secure and prosperous futures. Job Description
The Regulatory Specialist- Stewardship & Sustainability is responsible for assisting in implementing regulations and other requirements applicable to MFS' stewardship activities and the integration of environmental, social and governance ("ESG") factors into its investment process. This position will assist in assessing the impact of global regulatory changes on matters relating to stewardship, proxy voting and sustainable investing. This position will involve interaction with members of our investment team, including our Director of Global Stewardship and members of our Stewardship group as well as our Chief Sustainability Officer and ESG research analysts. PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist MFS' counsel in monitoring and responding to industry and global regulatory developments with respect to stewardship, proxy voting, sustainable investing and ESG integration.
- Oversee and coordinate any filings with global regulatory authorities or other entities with respect to our proxy voting, stewardship, and sustainable investing activities, including the Form N-PX filings on behalf of our U.S. registered funds.
- Assist MFS' counsel in the review of client agreements and client communications with respect to our stewardship and ESG integration activities.
- Assist MFS' counsel in the coordination and filing of any shareholder proposals that MFS files on behalf of our clients at shareholder meetings of our portfolio companies.
- Assist MFS' counsel in preparing agendas, minutes and materials for various internal MFS' committees and working groups from time to time established with respect to our stewardship and ESG integration activities, including the MFS Proxy Voting Committee and Responsible Investing Committee.
- Assume additional responsibilities as required.
- Bachelor's degree and at least 5 years work experience. A minimum of four years' corporate paralegal experience. Significant prior exposure to the asset management industry preferred.
- Strong knowledge of public company filings and proxy statements.
- Must be thorough, detail-oriented, persistent, self-motivated, and able to function with a high degree of independence and accuracy.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and able to develop proficiency in MFS systems (such as SharePoint) as required to perform the duties of this position.
- Strong writing and analytic skills.
- Understanding of the business operations and practices, procedures, and controls specific to the areas/functions supported is required. Desire to keep abreast of best practices as well as evolving issues within scope of the position is required.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with MFS associates and outside parties at all organizational levels. Presentation skills are essential.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, communication and project management skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines.
- Able to work overtime as necessary to keep current with work.
If any applicant is unable to complete an application or respond to a job opening because of a disability, please contact MFS at 617-954-5000 or email email@example.com for assistance.
MFS is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and it is our policy to not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws. Employees and applicants of MFS will not be subject to harassment on the basis of their status. Additionally, retaliation, including intimidation, threats, or coercion, because an employee or applicant has objected to discrimination, engaged or may engage in filing a complaint, assisted in a review, investigation, or hearing or have otherwise sought to obtain their legal rights under any Federal, State, or local EEO law is prohibited. " Click here to view the 'EEO is the Law' poster and supplement ."