Product Development Manager
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients. POSITION
The Product Development team has been established to enhance our ability to explore innovative investment strategy ideas in order to focus our resources on those strategies with the highest probability of commercial success. This team is focused on maximizing our ability to identify, develop, evaluate, and launch innovative investment strategies for the benefit of our clients and firm. With innovative ideas coming from all areas of our firm, our clients, our prospects and our competitor research, we provide a central point of evaluation and development. The team is focused on the development of best practices, determining resource requirements and clarifying evaluation metrics to enhance the product development efforts we have undertaken broadly as a firm over many years. In addition the team conducts market research to identify product gaps and makes recommendations for filling those gaps including product design, resource requirements and revenue forecasting.
The Product Development Team works closely with our investment teams, relationship teams, and business colleagues across the firm. In addition, they support the Product Innovation Committee (PIC), the committee responsible for setting the strategic direction for product development at our firm, new product approvals, fund vehicle strategy and, as required, the closure of existing products and funds to free up resources for new initiatives. We span a wide range of disciplines, geographies, industries, market capitalizations, and styles.
The Product Development Manager will be part of a five-person team, working closely with other PDMs. While particular investment depth and knowledge is helpful, it is expected that PDMs will work across asset classes and as dictated by the flow of new product ideas.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Alternatives & Multi-Strategy
- Fixed Income
The PDM will act as a central point of contact for new product ideas within his/her area of coverage. He/She will be responsible for shepherding new ideas through the product development lifecycle in partnership with key stakeholders. Product development managers will help develop robust evaluation metrics, collect input from key functions and generate market insights to support improved investment, business and operational outcomes. Core responsibilities will include:
Market & Competitive Intelligence
- Conduct market and competitive research through collaboration with the competitive intelligence team
- Generate and publish market and competitive insights that will help inform idea generation and product development priorities at the firm
Product Gap Strategy
- Identify product gaps and develop a framework/recommendations for where and how Wellington should fill those gaps
- Work with the funds group to identify new product development priorities in our fund line up and align our product development strategy with the needs of the funds group and the channels they serve
- Lead the product development process for new and potentially complex product ideas including vetting the investment merits, commercial viability, operational complexity, key terms and vehicle choice
- Collaborate closely with members of IPFS, the Client Group and all support functions to generate a robust business case according to a consistently applied set of evaluation metrics
Product Lifecycle Management
- In collaboration with the product development and product management teams, collect key metrics for evaluating existing products for closure and conduct regular reviews of products within your coverage area
- Aid in the completion of all PIC materials for strategies within your coverage area
Ad Hoc Projects
- Lead aspects of the buildout of our product development tools and information sharing infrastructure
The PDM role requires demonstrated knowledge of product and market analysis. The ideal candidate must have demonstrated interest in the financial markets and be conversant on investment related topics. Advanced analytical skills including the ability to frame issues, identify important points and draw conclusions, combined with strong communication skills and intellectual curiosity is a must. He/she must be comfortable working in a fast paced, multi-faced environment that, over time, requires expertise in both the firm's current product line-up and the competitive marketplace.
The successful candidate will likely have the following qualifications:
SKILLS JOB TITLE
- 10+ years relevant industry experience. MBA and/or CFA is desirable
- A strong investment background: product management experience strongly preferred
- Solid business judgment with the ability to ask good questions and raises issues
- Excellent quantitative and problem-solving skills
- The ability to work independently and in a team environment, and to manage multiple priorities
- Attention to detail combined with a solutions-oriented, strategic mindset
- Strong collaborator with an ability to influence others across a global team
- The willingness to develop knowledge of non-traditional instruments and complex investment strategies
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- A positive, collegial attitude and high level of professionalism
- Grace under pressure; ability to adapt and get things done
Product Development Manager LOCATION
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .