Private Investment Valuation Manager
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
We are transitioning to a hybrid work environment where both remote work and the office play a critical role. Our vision is a future where all employees are empowered to work flexibly to drive the best outcomes for our clients. Flexible work is a mindset and a core value. Our employees are encouraged to work remotely two days a week as a standard practice and will have flexibility in terms of working hours. POSITION
The Private Investment Valuation Manager will oversee the firm's valuation process for all private and illiquid securities held across dedicated private investment vehicles and separately managed accounts. The ideal candidate has demonstrated experience managing a team of experienced valuation analysts and is very knowledgeable about valuation methodologies for complex equity and debt private instruments for all stages of a company's lifecycle across healthcare, biotechnology, financial services, consumer, and technology sectors. Additionally, the ideal candidate will direct the evolution of existing processes & controls, oversee the implementation and enhancement of supporting technology, and maintain relationships with internal teams, external clients, and third-party valuation service providers.
The Private Investment Valuation Manager will be a member of the Investech Group and will work closely with the other groups across the firm, including the Pricing Committee, Private Investment Operations, Wellington Funds Group, Legal & Compliance, Securities Valuation, and Information Technology. This role is based in Boston, MA, and will report to the Director of Private Investment Operations.
- Hire, manage, and develop a team of Private Investment Valuation Analysts. The Analysts are responsible for formulating new, as well as updating existing fair value recommendations on a monthly and quarterly basis through creative and in-depth analysis, company/market research, and building comprehensive valuation models
- Ensure methodologies and valuation processes are conducted in line with valuation policy and are applied consistently across analysts and products
- Lead the Private Investment Valuation team's month-end and quarter-end processes to ensure the timely update of all fair valued securities in support of our clients and the private investment business
- Coordinate with internal and external auditors to ensure effective controls are maintained for the private securities valuation process and support the audit process for internal and external clients
- Lead the Private Investment Valuation team's processes to prepare, review, and present company updates, changes to policies & procedures, and related fair value recommendations to the Pricing Committee
- Collaborate and lead valuation discussions with various groups throughout the firm including: private investment services, internal counsel, global relationship management, the hedge fund administration group, industry analysts, private investment business team and investors, trading, and portfolio managers
- Represent the Valuation function at internal and external meetings, including client meetings to inform stakeholders on our fair value process, methodologies, topical valuation themes, and current valuation marks
- Lead special projects (Technology implementations, outsourcing to third-party valuation service providers) designed to continuously evolve the team's current practices to ensure processes are streamlined, efficient, and provide the most meaningful information and service to clients and stakeholders
- Stay abreast of SEC and regulatory fair value requirements, AICPA Accounting and Valuation guidelines, and other valuation best practices
- Attend relevant valuation conferences and roundtables to ensure Wellington is incorporating the most up-to-date valuation methodologies and approaches in its policies and analysis
SKILLS JOB TITLE
- 13+ years of experience, including a strong preference for experience managing a team of experienced valuation analysts and overseeing a firm's private investment valuation function
- Subject matter expertise on generally accepted valuation methodologies and processes for complex equity and debt private instruments for all stages (early to late) of a company's lifecycle across a broad range of sectors, including healthcare, biotechnology, financial services, consumer, and technology
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills, and accountability for developing and executing against a strategic vision, including integrating the use of third-party valuation service providers into the valuation process
- Highly collaborative working style, willing to roll up sleeves and dig in to solve problems with team analysts
- Strong business, critical, and analytical thinking capabilities with excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Must be detail-oriented while able to consider the bigger picture and quick to understand and apply new concepts in a high-performing environment
- Highly effective change-agent who is constantly assessing where processes can be improved, and embraces change and flexibility
- Demonstrated organizational, project, and time management skills with the ability to multi-task and handle competing and changing priorities with tight deadlines
- Experience with industry technology used in valuing private assets (Dynamo, Preqin, iLevel, FactSet, CapIQ, Pitchbook)
- Familiarity with sustainability themes such as ESG and/or climate impact
- Strong academic credentials, MBA/CFA preferred
Private Investment Valuation Manager LOCATION
100 Federal Street
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .