Municipal Credit Research Intern
Ready to launch your career? The Columbia Threadneedle Investments intern program is designed to provide students with first-hand investment management experience. The municipal bond research team performs independent, forward-looking fundamental research across all municipal bond sectors, including, but not limited to, state and local governments, utility systems, hospitals, airports, universities, housing, senior living/care, and real estate developments. The team covers securities that span the full range of credit quality from AAA-rated securities to non-rated high-yield securities. The research team's work is a primary input for the investment decision-making process. Analysts work closely with portfolio managers and traders to choose securities for investment in the primary and secondary markets. The team's surveillance of owned credits is pivotal in identifying securities that should be sold by funds or other strategies ahead of potential credit deterioration.
About the Columbia Threadneedle Internship Program:
Our 11-week summer intern program provides real-life experience in a collaborative and inclusive environment. As a Columbia Threadneedle intern, you will gain exposure to leaders, cultivate your business knowledge, work on projects that directly impact the business, and network in a welcoming atmosphere. In addition, you will have access to our Business Resource Networks, including the Black Employee Network, Young Professionals Network, PRIDE Network, and others! Responsibilities
As a Municipal Credit Research intern, you will support the research and analysis of a variety of tax-exempt securities, contributing directly to the investment process. You will work with an experienced team of senior analysts who will provide mentorship and opportunities for shadowing. As part of the investment process, you will also regularly interact with traders and portfolio managers across the broader Municipal Bond Investments team.
Examples of past intern projects include:
• Tracking, analyzing, and modelling State & Local tax revenue performance during the Covid Pandemic to assist the team in understanding the impact of economic pressures combined with the unprecedented Federal Relief legislative packages.
• Assist senior analysts in tracking and conducting credit analysis in the Hospital Sector during the Covid Pandemic.
• Assist senior analysts in tracking airline passenger traffic, conducting credit analysis on U.S. Airports, and model out various recovery scenarios to inform our research process of investment recommendations of a sector highly impacted by the pandemic. Required Qualifications
• Current Junior at a 4-year university pursuing a bachelor's degree in Finance, Quantitative or Science degree with a focus in Economics, Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, or related field with demonstrated ability to conduct research
• Graduation date of December 2022 or May/June 2023
• Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
• Demonstrated leadership experience Preferred Qualifications
• High degree of self-motivation with strong integrity and ethics
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize multiple projects
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
• Ability to work and communicate collaboratively with others
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
The company does not offer corporate undergraduate internships for students with F-1 visas. About Our Company
Millions of people around the world rely on Columbia Threadneedle Investments to manage their money. We're intentionally built to help our clients succeed, backed by a global team of 2,000 people including more than 450 investment professionals sharing global perspectives across all major asset classes and markets. At Columbia Threadneedle, you'll find the promise we make to our clients is the same one we make to our employees: Your success is our priority. In addition to our competitive total rewards package, employees stay with us because of our culture and commitment to their development. And, backed by the strength of our parent company, Ameriprise Financial, we are committed to providing you with the tools, resources, recognition and rewards to help you shape the career you want.
Ameriprise Financial is an equal opportunity employer. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, genetic information, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, gender identity, disability, veteran status, marital status, family status or any other basis prohibited by law.