Legal Operations Manager
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients. POSITION
The Legal Operations Manager will be assisting the Legal & Enterprise Risk function in achieving its mission by focusing on operational excellence of our Legal function. This is a new position that will include responsibility for strategic planning, litigation and discovery, information governance, knowledge management, as well as external counsel engagement, billing and administration. This will also include the advancement and ownership of a technology strategy as well as design and optimization of processes and procedures. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with the internal stakeholders to drive decision-making and develop and execute solutions.
The Legal Operations Manager will be a member of the Legal & Enterprise Risk group, reporting to the Associate Director of Legal & Enterprise Risk. In addition to partnering with the Project & Risk Management and technology teams, the Legal Operations Manager will work closely with the regional Heads of Legal in the Americas, EMEA and APAC and the broader Legal & Enterprise Risk Management Team. The position will be supported by and oversee one direct report.
The responsibilities and expectations of the Legal Operations Manager include, but are not limited to:
- Provide strategic insight and leadership on the vision and strategy of the legal operations function
- Direct responsibility for the operation of our litigation eDiscovery support activities
- Support our regional Heads of Legal by providing shared capabilities and operating procedures
- Manage outside counsel engagement, billing and administration
- Coordinate our Information Governance requirements across Legal & Enterprise Risk functions including Legal, Compliance and Privacy
- Lead project implementation and change management efforts to evolve our legal processes
- Improve data-driven decision-making and goal-setting throughout the Legal & Enterprise Risk function including the development and deployment of KPI/KRI dashboards and metrics
- Assist the function in optimizing staffing strategies that balance service levels, risk, flexibility, and cost
- Broaden the scope of our external counsel engagement through the expansion of strategic partnerships and scorecards as well as outsourcing and alternative fee arrangements
- Support the usage and best practice development shared technology of the Legal & Enterprise Risk function in connection with the development of a cohesive Knowledge Management strategy.
- Demonstrate leadership flexibility, including the ability to influence outcomes without direct authority
SKILLS JOB TITLE
- 8+ years of relevant experience -- direct experience in Legal Operations within a corporate law department within the asset management industry preferred
- Strategic and critical thinker who is also results oriented and pragmatic
- Strong analytical, risk management and problem-solving skills
- Direct experience in supporting litigation and discovery activities
- Technology, process & controls orientation
- Demonstrated project and change management skills
- Proficiency in Office 365 technologies including: Word, Excel, Power Automate, Power BI, Teams and SharePoint
- Advanced degree and/or professional certifications a plus - Law, Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Administration, or other relevant business field of study
Legal Operations Manager LOCATION
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .