Whether you're an investment professional, an expert in sales or a technology specialist, you'll find a culture at MFS that supports you in doing what you do best. Our employees work together to reach better outcomes, always favoring the strongest idea over the strongest individual. We put people first and show care and compassion for our community and each other. Because what we do matters - to us as valued professionals and to the millions of people and institutions who rely on us to help them build more secure and prosperous futures. Job Description
MFS is a premier investment management firm with a rich history and a growing global reputation. Since 1924, when our founders invented the mutual fund, collaboration and innovation have fueled our success. When you join our team, you will be challenged by the work you do, and you will share your talents with a vibrant network of vested individuals to create an elite organization and build a rewarding career.
This internship experience provides participants with a meaningful, relevant work experience as part of their academic studies. In addition to daily responsibilities, participants will have the opportunity to participate in a series of structured activities designed to enhance their learning experience including:
- Intern New Hire Orientation
- Senior Leadership Speaker Series
- Social & Networking Events
- Presentation Challenges
At the conclusion of this position, interns will have increased their knowledge of investing, the mutual fund industry, employee engagement, and a firm understanding of how the legal department works at an asset manager.
In this position, the candidate will be responsible for assisting members of the Legal Department in a variety of projects. Principal Responsibilities:
- Research various issues under the laws applicable to the global asset management and fund industry as well as research various issues with respect to employment, privacy, cyber-security, business continuity, technology, corporate governance, bankruptcy and tax matters.
- Assist with the drafting and/or review of organizational and corporate governance documents, including articles of incorporation; bylaws; declarations of trust; partnership agreements; operating agreements; agendas, resolutions and minutes for director/trustee meetings; and resolutions and proxy statements for shareholder meetings.
- Assist with the drafting and/or review of various agreements and amendments, including investment advisory agreements; distribution agreements; subscription and participation agreements; custodian and fund accounting agreements; fund administration agreements; shareholder servicing and transfer agency agreements; vendor contracts; licenses and leases.
- Assist with the drafting and/or review of various investment-related agreements, amendments and related documentation, including derivative contracts; repurchase agreements; securities lending agreements; forward transaction agreements; rights offerings; stock splits and reverse stock splits; and notes and credit agreements.
- Assist with the drafting and/or review of regulatory filings, including prospectuses, offering memorandums, shareholder reports, proxy statements, and registration filings on Form ADV and Form BD.
- Assist with respect to litigation and regulatory investigations and proceedings, including assisting with the drafting, review and coordination of pleadings, discovery requests, motions and other filings.
- Assist with the drafting and/or review of policies and procedures, internal committee charters, agendas and minutes, and coordinate periodic internal committee meetings including the preparation of meeting materials.
- Attend meetings to learn about Legal topics and projects.
- Other tasks/projects as requested.
- J.D. candidate that has completed at least one full year of study at an ABA-accredited law school including completion of course work in legal research and writing
- Completion of course work in business organizations and securities law or comparable work experience strongly preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion and/or have overcome obstacles, challenges or other factors (financial or otherwise) in the pursuit of a legal career
- Strong legal research and writing skills
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to complete multiple tasks timely and efficiently
If any applicant is unable to complete an application or respond to a job opening because of a disability, please contact MFS at 617-954-5000 or email email@example.com for assistance.
MFS is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and it is our policy to not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws. Employees and applicants of MFS will not be subject to harassment on the basis of their status. Additionally, retaliation, including intimidation, threats, or coercion, because an employee or applicant has objected to discrimination, engaged or may engage in filing a complaint, assisted in a review, investigation, or hearing or have otherwise sought to obtain their legal rights under any Federal, State, or local EEO law is prohibited. " Click here to view the 'EEO is the Law' poster and supplement ."