Investment Data Quality & Data Steward (US)
Whether you're an investment professional, an expert in sales or a technology specialist, you'll find a culture at MFS that supports you in doing what you do best. Our employees work together to reach better outcomes, always favoring the strongest idea over the strongest individual. We put people first and show care and compassion for our community and each other. Because what we do matters - to us as valued professionals and to the millions of people and institutions who rely on us to help them build more secure and prosperous futures. Job Description
Purpose: For a leading and rapidly growing Asset Management firm, the Investment Data Office champions a long-term, strategic initiative to unify and harmonize our investment data. This initiative enables enhanced investment decision making, risk management and client reporting for our multi-asset platform by delivering consistent, timely, accurate and user-friendly data to investors, risk teams and clients. Using strong investment data and operations knowledge, the Investment Data Quality & Stewardship Team seeks to provide superior support to the investment teams and performs a specialized set of "first response" duties related to managing and ensuring data quality, accuracy and availability to Portfolio Managers and Traders. Team members work closely with our investment teams on improving investment data quality, discoverability, accessibility, user experience, and trustworthiness by driving greater adherence to data quality standards. This position is part of the Investment Data Team, is based in Boston, MA with a focus on fixed income securities, including derivatives, covering portfolio level data, metrics and methodologies. Principal Responsibilities:
- Identify, problem solve and track investment data quality and accuracy concerns to resolution, including detecting, analyzing, and remediating root causes.
- Manage and prioritize the backlog of data quality issues and requests, incorporating Portfolio Manager input and risk mitigation principles, for both short-term and long-term end-to-end quality remediation.
- Understand end-to-end data flows and data dependencies to track data lineage, resolve data ambiguities, and conduct data quality impact analysis.
- Coordinate cross-functionally, including with operations, technology, distribution, legal and compliance, to determine resolution path for data issues, and escalate decisions and thematic challenges where appropriate to the Investment Data Governance Council.
- Execute data standardization activities where possible to achieve short-term resolution of issues.
- Ensure data policies and standards, as determined by the Investment Data Governance Council, are adhered to within investment systems and any reports prepared by the investment team.
- Inform funding decisions with respect to data and technology needs in support of Investment data management related requirements.
- Develop and improve the Investment Data Quality & Stewardship Team Processes, manage Investment Data Quality Dashboards, and provide input in their design and development.
- Collaborate and coordinate with other members of the Investment Data Management Program, especially the Data Trustees, to ensure consistent stewardship of data and to maintain data quality in accordance with data quality standards.
- Contribute to the Investment Data strategy, roadmap, business planning, literacy program, as well as setting standards, policies, and rules, in conjunction with the broader Investment Data Team.
- Assume additional responsibilities as required.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills and ability to develop creative and scalable solutions to meet business needs.
- Deep understanding of how data is used within investment and related processes and its impact on desired process outcomes.
- Broad knowledge of equity and fixed income security types, including derivatives, as well as associated data standards.
- Business focus with demonstrated ability to form effective working relationships, be resourceful and resolve conflicts.
- Experience with basic data analysis techniques such as descriptive analysis, diagnostic analysis, regression analysis, etc. is preferred.
- Ability to communicate at all levels of an organization.
- Demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities collaboratively as well as independently, and effectively in a fast paced and demanding environment.
- Strong project management skills to guide point-in-time and ongoing targeted data quality improvement projects.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent with a major in finance, computer science, engineering, data science or related field.
- 5-7 years of industry experience, with preferably 5 or more years of related experience in investment data quality and management.
If any applicant is unable to complete an application or respond to a job opening because of a disability, please contact MFS at 617-954-5000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
MFS is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and it is our policy to not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws. Employees and applicants of MFS will not be subject to harassment on the basis of their status. Additionally, retaliation, including intimidation, threats, or coercion, because an employee or applicant has objected to discrimination, engaged or may engage in filing a complaint, assisted in a review, investigation, or hearing or have otherwise sought to obtain their legal rights under any Federal, State, or local EEO law is prohibited. " Click here to view the 'EEO is the Law' poster and supplement ."