Investment Compliance Sr Specialist
Whether you're an investment professional, an expert in sales or a technology specialist, you'll find a culture at MFS that supports you in doing what you do best. Our employees work together to reach better outcomes, always favoring the strongest idea over the strongest individual. We put people first and show care and compassion for our community and each other. Because what we do matters - to us as valued professionals and to the millions of people and institutions who rely on us to help them build more secure and prosperous futures. Job Description
The Investment Compliance Senior Specialist is responsible for providing the independent monitoring of investment compliance requirements. This position ensures MFS' ongoing compliance in regards to advising key business units in related regulatory and client compliance requirements, train investment compliance professionals and key business stakeholders on regulatory and client requirements, and support the management of the investment compliance group by providing guidance and direction to its staff. Principal Responsibilities:
Using in depth knowledge of regulatory requirements relating to investment compliance for both US and non-US jurisdictions (e.g., 1940 Act Funds, UCITS, ERISA) and by applying an understanding of client requirements, perform the following responsibilities:
- Work on complex, strategic projects and significant regulatory initiatives.
- Actively review and monitor numerous clients' investment guidelines and regulatory restrictions (e.g., Investment Management Agreement, Prospectus, Statement of Additional Information).
- Review and analyze the daily investment compliance monitoring of clients' portfolios and regulated entities employing a variety of automated and manual processes.
- Review, identify and research compliance exceptions from which independent conclusions are made and reasonable solutions are proposed to the senior managers.
- Draft and review business requirements and provide feedback of key rules/reports utilized for compliance monitoring to ensure accuracy of the applicable requirements.
- Work with others in Compliance and across MFS in the review and comment of client investment guidelines and Request For Proposal's.
- Keep abreast of global regulatory updates and interpretive releases. With senior managers, collaborate with Legal to assess implications of new rules and regulations related to assigned area, apprises others of developments, and recommend courses of action as appropriate.
- Examine department workflow and make recommendations on ways to increase efficiency while maintaining internal controls. Actively seek tools and technology to improve current operations and proposes same to managers.
- Participate in specialized projects that involve interactions across MFS and its subsidiary companies. Address concerns, present solutions and identify ways to mitigate risk exposure.
- Work with the Investment Compliance team's key customer groups (trading, portfolio management, legal, client operations, investment operations, Portfolio Risk Monitoring, etc.). Research inquiries from same, and provide on-going training on regulations and/or clients' requirements.
- Provide investment compliance training to new employees and facilitate cross training within the team.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred. Must have at least 7 years work experience in investment management, financial services or industry-related compliance experience. Working knowledge of investment management operations and advisory functions is required as is significant prior exposure to investment management operations and its related rules and regulations in a compliance-related function.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, communication, customer-service, team-working and problem-solving skills. Must be able to write effectively, and present research, analysis and conclusions in a persuasive manner.
- Proven ability to develop and foster strong interpersonal relationships and to maintain effective cross-functional teams throughout the organization. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with outside parties at all organizational levels. Own the delivery of projects while also operating successfully in a cross-functional, often international, team environment.
- Proven analytical skills with the ability to make independent decisions, develop creative solutions to problems and propose implementation of same is essential.
- Able to effectively drive solutions throughout the organization and present ideas in an effective, non-confrontational manner. Escalate issues and advocate for solutions.
- Understanding of the business operations and practices, procedures and controls specific to the business units supported is required. Must be aware of best practices as well as evolving issues within scope of the position.
- Solid presentation skills are required. Must be able to present comfortably before small to mid-size groups (10 to 40).
- Represent MFS at meetings, conferences or related industry events.
- Demonstrated project management skills and the ability to analyze operational effectiveness are required.
- Develop proficiency in MFS systems as required to perform the duties of this position, such as CharlesRiver. Must be proficient in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and able to conduct on-line research/utilize applicable tools.
- Able to work overtime as necessary to keep current with work.
- Some regional travel may be required.
If any applicant is unable to complete an application or respond to a job opening because of a disability, please contact MFS at 617-954-5000 or email email@example.com for assistance.
MFS is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and it is our policy to not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws. Employees and applicants of MFS will not be subject to harassment on the basis of their status. Additionally, retaliation, including intimidation, threats, or coercion, because an employee or applicant has objected to discrimination, engaged or may engage in filing a complaint, assisted in a review, investigation, or hearing or have otherwise sought to obtain their legal rights under any Federal, State, or local EEO law is prohibited. " Click here to view the 'EEO is the Law' poster and supplement ."