Indirect Tax Director
- Boston, MA, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Fidelity Investments
- 18 Feb 18 2018-02-18
Indirect Tax Director
This individual will be joining the Corporate Tax team in Boston, responsible for managing State and Local Sales and Use tax function, including compliance, planning, controversies, and system integrations. This individual will also help provide sales tax support to business units throughout Fidelity entities, including advising on sales tax issues; conducting taxability research on sales and purchase transactions; help facilitate any sales tax implementation projects and ensure ongoing compliance with business partners.
The Expertise We're Looking For
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Business; Masters in Taxation and/or CPA preferred
- Minimum of 8-10 years of multi-state sales/use tax experiences including responsibility for managing tax compliance and controversies, and providing tax system and planning support.
- Strong working knowledge of tax systems (Vertex O series, BNA is a plus)
- Strong working knowledge of accounting principles
The Purpose of Your Role
This is a hands-on position that requires the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment. This individual must communicate effectively and work well with others. The ideal candidate will be solution driven and have experiences in multi-state sales/use tax and nexus issues. This is a highly visible role that interfaces with the leadership from all business units throughout the organization and our shared service teams such as Procurement and Corporate Account Payables.
The Skills You Bring
- You are able to communicate clearly with highest levels of management and at the level that is best understood by the audience.
- You demonstrate strong skills in mentoring junior team members and influencing peers.
- You demonstrate strong research and analytical skills.
- You have strong experience writing clearly and persuasively, for tax professionals and business executives.
- You thrive on working well in a team-based environment.
- Ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment and deliver on tight deadlines.
The Value You Deliver
- Responsible for ensuring the accurate and timely filing of sales and use tax returns;
- Supervise the preparation and review of work papers to support the Company's sales & use tax related filings.
- Provide leadership, support and development of one to two direct reports.
- Manage relationships with internal, external and IT contacts for data files and information
- Serve as the primary liaison between the company and the state taxing authorities on controversies work, timely communication of significant state examination developments to ensure proper company compliance.
- Facilitate any state and local registrations with business partners.
- Participate in special projects to determine tax implications of company operations.
- Research sales and use tax matters and keeping up-to-date on current tax practices and technical issues.
- Support new business and department initiatives through participation or leadership of cross-functional teams, and management of enterprise projects.
- Develop plans to modify and improve existing processes to reduce future audit risk.
- Research tax regulations and tax rules to support projects and initiatives.
- Provide tax guidance to support internal contacts or other areas of finance team.
How Your Work Impacts the Organization
- State Tax planning and tax compliance services.
- Managing examinations by state and local tax authorities and controversies arising therefrom.
- Build strong working relationship with Government Relations team in monitoring legislative activities.
At Fidelity, we are focused on making our financial expertise broadly accessible and effective in helping people live the lives they want. We are a privately held company that places a high degree of value in creating and nurturing a work environment that attracts the best talent and reflects our commitment to our associates. For information about working at Fidelity, visit FidelityCareers.com
Fidelity Investments is an equal opportunity employer