IT Business Analysis Co-ops (January 2020)
Whether you're an investment professional, an expert in sales or a technology specialist, you'll find a culture at MFS that supports you in doing what you do best. Our employees work together to reach better outcomes, always favoring the strongest idea over the strongest individual. We put people first and show care and compassion for our community and each other. Because what we do matters - to us as valued professionals and to the millions of people and institutions who rely on us to help them build more secure and prosperous futures. Job Description
MFS is a premier investment management firm with a rich history and a growing global reputation. Since 1924, when our founders invented the mutual fund, collaboration and innovation have fueled our success. When you join our team, you will be challenged by the work you do, and you will share your talents with a vibrant network of vested individuals to create an elite organization and build a rewarding career.
This Co-op experience provides participants with a meaningful, relevant work experience as part of their academic studies. In addition to daily responsibilities, participants will have the opportunity to participate in a series of structured activities designed to enhance their learning experience including:
• Co-Op New Hire Orientation
• Senior Leadership Speaker Series
• Social & Networking Events
• Presentation Challenges
At the conclusion of this position, co-ops will have increased their knowledge of investing, the mutual fund industry, employee engagement, and a firm understanding of how IT business analysis works at an asset management company.
MFS co-op positions are a 6-month commitment (January 7, 2020- June 26, 2020), working Monday - Friday and work between 35-40 hours. Our program is designed for undergraduate students who are currently enrolled in a co-op program through their college or university and can meet our requirements. All students must be authorized to work in the United States. About Business Systems Analysis (BSA) Co-ops
Business Systems Analysts (BSAs) work directly with a dynamic team of Business Analysts and Project Managers as they assist internal business partners in developing systems strategies to achieve MFS' business goals. The position involves acting as an integral part of the team to create, enhance, and implement new and existing solutions by collaborating with software developers, subject matter experts and other IT team members. You will attend meetings, work directly with internal business groups, and assist BSAs with larger scale projects. You will learn how to elicit and gather business requirements, analyze data supporting business decisions and translate these into solutions. You will also be introduced to other technology project functions and learn how to test, and deploy solutions. You will learn the MFS system-development life cycle and work to release system enhancements for the benefit of our clients and internal business partners. You must be able to excel in a collaborative and dynamic environment.
As a BSA co-op, you'll not only get hands-on experience, but you will also receive:
- Exposure to Agile software development methodologies and best practices. Opportunity to be a member of a functioning scrum team.
- Exposure to and the opportunity to learn to develop: Test Plans, Business Requirements documents, Wireframe diagrams, Functional Specifications, and more.
- Involvement with multiple projects at multiple stages; gain understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC).
- Exposure to a diverse array of applications including: MFS.com, Microsoft Office Products, Visio, Agile tools such as Jira and Confluence, SharePoint, and different applications used to track time, resources, projects and Agile scrum team output.
- Heavy interaction with developers, designers, and a range of technical experts. Involvement with the Code Push Cycle and different environments (Development, Stage, Production).
- Exposure to the financial industry with an industry leader; gaining in-depth experience with web technology and other parts of the IT infrastructure.
- Be part of the MFS culture - one of inclusion and respect, with an open-door policy.
BSA Co-op positions typically available:
- Investment Operations Business Analyst Co-pop
- Digital Business Analyst Co-op
- Enterprise Business Systems Analyst Co-op
- Performs analysis of business activities to determine business requirements. Works with business users to understand requirements pertaining to industry, company, and customer needs.
- Collaborates with the QA team in developing high level test plans. Works with automated testing team when needed for performance/load testing as well as regression testing.
- Works to ensure a positive end product for business stakeholders. Creates and maintains proper training materials and business documentation.
- Supports cross-departmental projects and follows the MFS Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC), ensuring that all steps of the process have been followed accordingly.
- Identify, analyze and interpret trends in large data sets.
- Maintain documentation and write new procedures when needed.
- Pursuing a Bachelor's degree in a business or computer related field. Aptitude for and comfort with technology is important. MIS concentrations welcome.
- Exposure to or experience with systems support, project management, and analysis in the financial services industry. Web technologies experience preferred.
- Strong communication skills, as interaction with internal clients as well as a wide range of personalities and skill sets is a part of the job on a daily basis.
- Ability to take initiative, to utilize resources, and to communicate effectively.
- Strong written skills and an ability to simultaneously manage working on multiple projects of varying size and complexity.
- Proven analytical skills and demonstrated ability to take initiative and help with developing creative solutions to meet business needs.
- Experience working in a team, preferably on projects as well as in a support role.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office Tools: Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of Visio a plus.
If any applicant is unable to complete an application or respond to a job opening because of a disability, please contact MFS at 617-954-5000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
MFS is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and it is our policy to not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws. Employees and applicants of MFS will not be subject to harassment on the basis of their status. Additionally, retaliation, including intimidation, threats, or coercion, because an employee or applicant has objected to discrimination, engaged or may engage in filing a complaint, assisted in a review, investigation, or hearing or have otherwise sought to obtain their legal rights under any Federal, State, or local EEO law is prohibited. " Click here to view the 'EEO is the Law' poster and supplement ."